my 5 yr old nephew pees the bed about a third of the time...

he was totally potty trained for the last several years...but lately he wets the bed...why is this? besides telling him to pee right before bed, what can i do? anyone else go through this?

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 9:56 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have a dear friend who's son still wets the bed and he's 8 years old, no stress, no problems, just a deep sleeper.
    I know people who have wet the bed until they were 12 or 13 years old (girls and boys). It's a pain, but there are 1000's upon 1000's of people who do.

Both my girls were night trained first! My oldest is 6 and she still waits until the last possible moment during the day.
    Everyone is different, it's very typical, especially for boys, not to be night trained for years. I wouldn't say 50%, but I bet at least 10% to 20% of boys still wet the bed at age 10!.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 10:26 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Be sure he does not drink after dinner. Do not stress him about this. It is not unusual at all.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:57 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Toilet trained during the day does not equal "night trained" . At 5 it's not unusual at all. HOWEVER, if he previously was not bed wetting... then prob. something is up... stress (yes even 5 yr. olds in preschool can be stressed depending on what is going on), or maybe something physical etc.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:15 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Been there with both my nephews!
    Is he living with you? Has he been for awhile or has he recently moved in? Any type of move can be stressful and kids show it alot through bedwetting.
    Also- how is school for him this year?
    It's an overly tired and stressed issues when they haven't had an issue for a good amount of time, start asking questions about his day, check with his teachers and you may have to go back to waking him up in the middle of the night to try.
    Good luck!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 9:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I peed the bed when my parents go divorced. Is he stressed about something?
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:00 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Has there been any stress in the family? They can regress with stress.

You may want to take him to the doctor to check if he may have a bladder infection. (boys can get it)
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:01 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• It's not unusual. My one step son suffered from bed wetting. He started at about age 5 as well. We tried many different things, including an alarm, which woke everyone up except him. After exhausting all efforts over a period of 5 years and him finally breaking down crying over not being able to sleep over at friends houses, the doctor finally suggested we put him on medication for the issue. After 3 years on the medication he was able to be taken off of it. He is now 22 years old and has not had an issue since he was taken off the meds at age 13.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• donna...he doesnt live with me, he was just staying with me the last couple nights...his mom is out of town...he is still in preschool so school is pretty easy...dont know why he would be stressed....thank you for your input tho! i will try waking him to go pee
    mamagee1218

Comment by mamagee1218 (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Lots of kids still wet the bed at this age. Can you jut get him some pull ups or goodnights to wear until he is dry every night? However, if this just started you may want to check with the Dr.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:00 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Just the fact that his mother is out of town can be stressful for a child especially if that is not normal.
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 5:16 AM on Oct. 17, 2010