Breast milk...

How much expressed breast milk should my 4 1/2 month old be drinking per bottle? And how often? Total per day? I've read a lot about this, and found one source (kellymom.com) that said 25-30 ounces..But I want to know from your experiences, and opinions....Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was taking around 6 to 8 ounces per feeding around 3 to 4 hours, and he slept through the night around that age. Now that he is 6 and a half months he is only taking 4 to 5 ounces of formula, because its thicker, and he is on sqaush and sweet potatoes.....

Anyway, every baby is different, my son ate ALOT of breastmilk....sometimes he wanted more then 8 ounces, but i didnt give him anymore then that....
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 2:38 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• You feed as much as you think your child needs. Every child is different.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:09 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My son ate about 3-4 oz per bottle at that age. He had a bottle about 6 times every 24 hours. He also usually had a bigger bottle at bed time...around 6 oz. So, he had about 20-26 oz a day. He did well with that amount...in the 75 percentile for weight.
    mysweetalex

Answer by mysweetalex at 9:42 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I've read that a baby that eats breastmilk should have 4 oz bottles no matter what the age.
    But my baby is 3 1/2 months he takes 4 oz bottles every 3 hours at daycare... but when I pump I get way more than 4 oz, so I think he is eating more than that at a time when he breastfeeds. He takes 5-6 oz if he wakes in the middle of the night. I think Kellymom is a great source.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:42 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I also read that and I would freak out when my son didn't reach the 30 oz. mark or whatever. While at daycare, he would drink two bottles, each bottle containing anywhere from 4-6 ounces. At home, I didn't use bottles. He would nurse straight from the tap so it was hard to tell how much he was actually getting (in ounces). I just let him nurse until he was done!
    ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 12:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2008