• In the Spotlight:

Would you breastfeed another woman's baby?

I'm reading a series by Jean M. Auel, the first book is called The Clan of the Cave Bear. In this series it's really commonplace for a woman to breastfeed another womans baby. Granted, this IS in a time period when formula wasn't around. But it made me wonder. Are there any woman who would breastfeed another woman's child who was unable but still wanted her baby to have breast milk? How about you? I would. A child is a child.

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 2:43 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I have! One of my friends had premature twins RIGHT when I decided I was going to let my milk go from nursing my daughter. She wasn't able to keep up with them and wanted them to have breast milk, so for a while I pumped while they were being tube fed the milk...I only actually nursed a few times. I'm also a foster mother and I haven't had a little baby in a long time, but I would definitely ask if I could if I had milk and a baby at the same time.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:17 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• no, but once we were out of milk, and my friend was over with her 12 month old baby, so I put 4 ounces of my breastmilk in her sippie cup, and she ate it....
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 2:46 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Yes. There would have to be a really good reason but I would be ok with it.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:53 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I WOULD IF THE SITUATION CALLED FOR IT, ALTHOUGH I THINK I WOULD EXPRESS THE MILK INTO THE BOTTLE FOR THE OTHER CHILD...I THINK BREAST CONTACT IS BONDING AND I WOULD ONLY ALLOW FOR MY CHILD TO DO THAT.
    NURSE_MOM_OF_2

Answer by NURSE_MOM_OF_2 at 2:58 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Totally normal in the old days and during the depression especially! Other countries use this method and they are called wet nurses. I would be ok with it but the bonding experience is lost for a bit between mother and child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• If the other mom was sick, or for some other reason could not nurse herself, I absolutely would. In a heartbeat. It's not about me, or the other mom, or anyone else..... it's about the baby and doing what is best for him/her.
    bkbecca

Answer by bkbecca at 3:06 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I LOVE BREASTFEEDING, BUT YEAH, I'D ONLY BE ABLE TO BREASTFEED MY BABY. FOR ME, IT SEEMS TO INTIMATE TO DO WITH ANYONE ELSE'S CHILD.
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 3:13 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i dont think u can breastfeed just anyone unless ure pregnant or right after pregnancy when u got milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:22 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I would totally be a wet nurse under certain circumstances. I have been asked to find either a wet nurse, or at least someone willing to donate breast milk (for mommies who have health issues, such as cancer or who have to go on medications for lupus, etc)
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 7:17 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• If there wouldnt be any other way of feeding the baby, of course i would do it. I would never let a child starve. But now, where we have formula and everything, no i would never breastfeed another baby and i would never want someone else breastfeeding my baby.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:07 AM on Oct. 28, 2008