No! You can't have a Kitchen!

I was at Once Upon a Child earlier today. It's a place that sells second hand kids items. This little boy, probably around 3 was begging his mom for this little toy kitchen. He went on and on for 5-10 minutes. The mom kept telling him no. Not because they didn't have the money, but because he was a boy, and boys don't play with kitchens. I heard her getting aggravated with him. Kitchens are for girls!! You do NOT play with kitchens! Now I admit I was one that wouldn't buy my son a dress, but I have no problem with the toy kitchens. All those gadgets. Who wouldn't wanna play? My cousin had one, he's a boy. I don't see the issue at all. Would you buy your son a toy kitchen?

MissAlisabeth

Asked by MissAlisabeth at 10:04 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Probably.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:05 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Yep. I wanted to and just never got around to it. Now they're both too old to want it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Sure, men should know how to cook for themselves - I see a big difference between a kitchen and a dress. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• If my son did not play with his sister's kitchen set, I probably would. He loves to play with it. I don't see anything wrong with it. He's only 3.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:08 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• For sure. Why not. Like I stated in another question on the same topic, there's many successful male chef's these days, they obviously have to cook somewhere! Kitchen isn't just for women anymore.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:08 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• The kitchens now have shape sorters, clocks, all kinds of things on them. I felt so bad for the little boy! He desperately wanted that kitchen!
    MissAlisabeth

Comment by MissAlisabeth (original poster) at 10:09 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I would love to buy one for my kids, they love to help me cook, but we have no room for one. My boys love to cook and play kitchen. Their father was a cook when we got married. Many famous and awesome chefs are men. And just for the record, my boys do have "dress up clothes" including skirts, shoes and purses... I don't see how that's an issue in any way.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Do these people forget that most of the famous chefs are men? If it meant my son would be the next Bobby Flay, sure, I'd buy him the kitchen.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• i don't understand people like that, girls play with cars and its ok. i used to know alil boy who wanted a lil teaset and his mum got it for him, at the end of the day. they are only kids and as much as u try to keep them straight, they are going to still turn out gay or straight as they get older. be proud of your kid no matter what.
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 10:15 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Yes I would and she obviously does not watch T.V almost all great cooks are men.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:17 PM on Oct. 16, 2010