IS THIS FOR REAL?

AFTER JUST WATCHING A SAVE THE CHILDREN TYPE AD ON TV, I HAVE PERSONALLY ALWAYS WONDERED IF WHAT THEY SHOW IN AFRICA IS THE WHOLE TRUTH...I HAD A CLASSMATE IN NURSING SCHOOL WHO WAS FROM GHANA AND I ASKED HER IF SOME OF THE IMAGES OF STARVATION ARE AS WIDE SPREAD AS SHOWN ON TV, NOW I DON'T KNOW IF SHE WAS TRYING TO "SAVE FACE" FOR HER COUNTRY OR WHAT BUT SHE IMMEDIATELY SAID NO AND THAT AMERICANS ONLY SHOW THE WORST. I AM TORN, BECAUSE IF THERE ARE TRULY BABIES LAYING IN THE STREET SKIN AND BONES TODAY, WHY???? HAVE WE NOT BEEN SENDING AID FOR THE PAST 30 YEARS. AND I AM A EDUCATED WOMAN AND I DO REALIZE THAT AIDS HAS PLAYED A MAJOR PART IN THAT, BUT I AM JUST STUNNED IF WE HAVE ALL JUST SEEN SUCH TRAGEDY ON TV AND THOUGHT FOR A SECOND OR TWO HOW TERRIBLE THAT IS AND CHANGED THE CHANNEL. PLEASE I WOULD LOVE TO HERE FROM ANYONE WHO IS TRULY FROM AFRICA OR HAS TRAVELED ABROAD. PLEASE TELL ME THIS ISN'T SO......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• It is because the DICTATORS of these countries PREVENT food and medicine from getting to the people! I thought everyone knew this! You can do some simple Google searches and see pie charts representing the MILLIONS of dollars donated to specific charities and how small of a percentage of that money actually makes it to the sick and starving people. Something on average of 1-10%...

Besides, I feel charity begins at home! We have hungry and ill children in THIS country, why don't people feel the need to donate here to the Red Cross and various Food Banks...but feel the need to "adopt" some image of a starving child halfway around the world?!

I donate clothes, food and my TIME to such organizations, and will continue to do so, LONG before I support another country.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My sister just got through with med school and she spent two summers in africa differant part can't remember where. But she said that it was pretty bad where she was alot of the kids and moms had maleria and AIDS. she delivered some babies there too and they were in bad condition when tey were born. But i think thats why the clinic she was working for was there cause they needed alot of help. I don't think africa just has babies lying in the streets skin and bones. She also traveled around alittle bit and it's not that bad every where. They for sure don't have it like we do here but it's not all like they show us on t.v. they're happy with what they have (not talking about the diseases)
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 3:01 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• idk but i do know is that that one commerical is the same one i have seen since i was like 10 so either those kids havent grown o somethings up
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• haha thats true I remember seein those same kids now.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 3:47 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• they must have stunted growth or something lol ... idk i just know i dont trust them cause those kids were like 8 when i was 10 and now im 22 and they are still 8 lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:03 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• do the math and u will see that they lie horrible they claim that like 30,00 children die a day from these countries and add to that adults that die due ti desise and old age and war then add in the birth rate and u will see that if these numbers were right affricans as a population would have died out quite a number of years ago its just basic math im sure ther are children suffering but i dont think insulting our intlegenace is the way for them to get us to help
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 7:53 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• And why can't the Angelina Jolie/Brad Pitts of the world fork over the money they earn on their next blockbuster movie?! That ought to "fix things" there for a while!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Africa is tricky. I have never been there but watching as many documentries it is hard not to see how difficult helping them is. the radical groups who slay villages 'just because" make it very difficult to get aid to those who need it. Not to mention most of the land they can not grow farms, so there goes thier own self reliance. Thier own government is so corrupt that they sometimes turn a blind eye to the problems or just don't care to begin with. It is a huge mess over there and it seems that it will never be an overnight fix.

My sister works for a company who made seeds that can grow in any climate, they don't want it, because it is "genetically enhanced"..so another issue in helping them...
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 9:55 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• You are so right Anon. 8:37... I didn't read your answer before posting my own. As Africa is in need, it is hard to continue helping them when thier own government won't help them. All we do is give them false hope, sometimes I feel does more damage. The help that is needed has to start with thier own government and as sad as it sounds seems after years and years of trying it has gotten nowhere. I also agree we need to help our own starving kids and people. I remember growing up seeing those commercails for our own country's starving and homeless people... you don't see any of those anymore...I wonder why?
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 10:01 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• There are parts of Africa that are like that and then there are parts that are just like cities here in the US. The governement often takes what is given by other nations and rations it out....it never reaches many areas. Some local governments are very corrupt and they keep it all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Oct. 28, 2008