How do you raise a son without a father in his life?

I am a single divorced mom.I have a 76 year old son.His father is not in his life not by my choice,but the judge and my attorney.It's court ordered.I'm concerned for my son not having a father figure or male role model in his life.I don't date much.So a future stepdad is out.I tried Cubscouts but due to limited finances I couldn't afford that.Can you please help me out here?

alisha34886

Asked by alisha34886 at 10:57 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• Honey, lots of women raise boys without a father. While it's always nice to have a father, regardless of the child's gender, it just simply doesn't always work that way. All you can do is love him and let him know he is loved... You'll find the right answers to issues as they come up - just like you would if there were a father. If you can, I would say check out some local groups for single parents or get him involved with something like "big brothers" which specialize in helping with children who need extra support... Beyond that there isn't to much you can do.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:01 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Apply for a Big Brother from Big Brother Big Sisters. Have a male friend or relative to be a positive role model. It is not that hard, I have done it for 14 years with very limited funds. What about a sport? You can get scholarships at the YMCA being low income. There are many things that you can do to have a positive male role model in his life, it doesn't have to be a father or stepfather.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Just try your best to instill good values in him, you can teach him how to be a gentlemen. Maybe there are books you can read to help you out & not feel so lost...
    My DH grew up without a dad... and he turned out great! :)
    Best of luck!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• You are still making it YOUR choice. Unless the child's father is a bad influence you have no right keeping your son from him. Judges and lawyers all too often go off in what a custodial parent wants especially if the NCP doesn't show up for court. A judge is not going to show up to your home and arrest you because you allowed your son to see his father.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• It's perfectly fine to not have a dad. I don't see why you think it's such a big deal. Maybe it's different for you since your kid is older and knew his dad before but my son in three and doesn't know the difference. I think he's so much better without one.

And yes, she could get arrested if she goes against a court order.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:05 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• My parents got divorced when I was 15. I wasn't a big fan of my dad. Through the years, he changed a lot, and now, we're on good terms. My DH grew up with a working mom, and 5 sisters. He's an amazing father! Each child is different, but love him and do your best, and he'll turn out okay.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 11:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2010