What lesson did Jesus teach his disciples by washing their feet?

dgall3

Asked by dgall3 at 11:12 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Humility. The apostles were having alot of trouble understanding one of them was not better than the rest. Jesus wanted them to understand they needed to be willing to serve one another. If the Son of God was willing to wash their feet (which was a task a slave usually performed) they should be willing to do for one another.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 11:19 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Jesus, who was the master was being a servant to them.....that is what they were to be to each other and to others....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Humility and the importance of being of service to others.

My clan sisters recently held a ceremony for me where they washed my feet in honor of the path I will be walking and the little feet I will be washing (I am about to have a baby)
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:34 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Humility and servitude. God Himself was willing to wash the feet of His disciples, which is a job that was usually done by the servant of the house. He wants us to be willing to serve others with humility.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• That He is just one of them? I honestly don't know. That is bad being Catholic.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:17 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Humility, not being too proud to serve others. Though when I was little, I thought it was done because He thought their feet were too stinky.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:56 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• serving others
    Anonymous

• servitude. that even the highest and most righteous still needs to serve those around him/her.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:20 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Along with humility and service, he was preparing them for his death. He humbled himself before men and God in going to the cross. I guess I also think it showed the apostles what their lives would be like later on, yes they would have divine power and gifts but their real greatness would come through service to God and man.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 1:30 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Servanthood and humility

the act of washing their feet is also an act of forgiveness as well
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:39 AM on Oct. 17, 2010