Gestational Diabetes

I was told by my doctor today that I have gestational diabetes, or pregnancy diabetes. I was just wondering how many of you other moms got this because I'm starting to feel like they just hand out that diagnosis to everyone (kind of like how they say to every kid that wont pay attention that they have ADD. And don't bash me, I know its a real disorder but I don't feel that every kid they say has it actually does).

Deathlilly

Asked by Deathlilly at 3:40 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• well, you took the test, its not like you are acting out 'mentally' to make it up - blood doesn't lie and its something im sure your dr is very concerned about. it is a serious matter as you are now considered "high risk". it will go away with delivery and a better diet your dr. will put you on. it is very serious as there are many risks to your baby, it could be born with diabetes as well....be careful, don' take your situation so litely.
    itsaboy1208

Answer by itsaboy1208 at 3:47 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I don't think they "hand it out to everybody". I was tested and I don't have it so I suppose that disproves your theory. They DO, however, "hand it out" to people whose body isn't able to use the sugar in their blood as well as it should, so the level of sugar in their blood becomes higher than normal.

This is a serious condition that, if left untreated, your baby may be more likely to have low blood sugar level, jaundice, or your baby may weigh much more than normal. Gestational diabetes can also affect your health. For instance, if your baby is very large, you may have a more difficult delivery or you may need a cesarean section. It also increases your risk of developing preeclampsia.

AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 3:48 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I just got a call from my doctor today saying my results were abnormal that I need to go and do the 3 hour glucose test, I am not excited about it! I never had it with my son so it just goes to show you how different pregnancies can be. Luckily I can ask all the questions that i have tomorrow when i go for my rhogam injection awww yes another thing I am so looking forward to *sarcasm*
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 4:02 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• How about instead of blaming the doctors for your condition, you just step up and start following their orders so that you have a healthy baby and so that you can be healthier too. As the first poster stated, blood doesn't lie. If you tested positive for it, it IS NOT the doctors fault and I doubt that they are lying....why WOULD they?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:15 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• the 3 hr test is actually 4 hours in the end.....i had to do it.....it was horrible!
    itsaboy1208

Answer by itsaboy1208 at 4:18 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i just knew 3 hour test thats what the nurse at my doctor's office told me, I never had to do this so its all new info to me
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 5:31 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I was told I had it too, well borderline; after being over by 2 points in the first hour on the 3 hour test; the other two hours were fine. In a sense I agree with you; as I processed sugar just fine. I never had to monitor my blood, which gave me the indication that apparently I didn't have it. They asked me to watch my diet and that was about it. I did watch the carb intake, and some sugars, but I cheated too and never had an issue. The plus side is that I only gained 9 lbs with my son, so it's not that horrible of a thing to go through...

And yes I agree; the three hour test is not only awful, it's exhausting...
    leoangel

Answer by leoangel at 6:24 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I had it with my third child.Had to take insulin shot's 3 time's per day!This is nothing to play around with!After i had my child it went away!They said to watch my health and weight because it would be easy for us to get it again!In the future.Good Luck!
    cox68

Answer by cox68 at 6:31 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• There are PLENTY of reasons for doctors to lie or even to get mislead themselves. Its called corporate america; the place where only making money matters not necessarily people or even right or wrong. I know its a real condition, especially if you have to take insulin just to survive, and that blood tests don't lie. But to tell every person who is just a tiny bit over the sugar limit or who just doesn't get enough exercise to process all of their sugar that the have a serious medical problem is madness.

p.1
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 3:01 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Every test they do gives them a butt load of money so the lines that are supposed to be clearly drawn are becoming almost invisible. I mean, from a third person's point of view it would look like this: Well, if the hospital just tells a few people that they have to eat better and keep a tight schedule on their habits and that they have to run some minor tests then that could buy some more equipment for the hospital or maybe even allow them to get more nurses.

p.2
    Deathlilly