My youngest son repeats the same questions over and over and over... does anyone else deal with this?

My son will be 3 next month. I have 2 other boys that never did this so im no sure what to think. He will ask a question and no matter what we answer, or how many times we answer, he will continually repeat the same question. This can go on up to a half hour of repeating the same thing...word for word..over and over. Its very frustrating.

This happens several times a day about all sorts of things.

My mom thinks theres something wrong with him. I just dont know. Do any other moms deal with this, do you think maybe something maybe wrong, or is he just being a typical 2 yr old testing our limits?

modelmomof4

Asked by modelmomof4 at 3:59 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My youngest did this. 1st time, I reminded her she asked already and tell her the answer again. 2nd time, I would say "Well, what did I tell you last time you asked?" and 3rd time and beyond I refused to even acknowledge the question. It's usually just a way to get your attention.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 4:18 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Both of my brothers did this--and I have seen others kids that do it as well...I think its the toddler verions asking "why?" "why?" "why?" to ever answer you give them in a row...
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 5:35 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• my niece did this and it is frustrating but they grow out of it
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:05 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My son does this all the time. He is also Autistic, a milder form, called Aspergers.

I taught preschool for over 6 years before my son was born and never had any of my students do this. I worked with infants up to afterschoolers, but my rang was mostly 4-5 year olds when I lead taught.

Symptoms of Autism, instead of answering a question the child will repeat it to you. My son did baby babble until he was 4 year olds instead of talking regular sentences. They also attach to odd object, like my son would find a string on the floor and carry it around for hours. He was also obcessive and would put change in his animated bank until the batteries wore out. They know no danger and can be sensitive to noises,touch,smells,tastes, anything to do with the senses.
    LisaAC

Answer by LisaAC at 7:43 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• part 2, wouldn't let me post it all

If you noticed more than one of these symptoms, not every child will have them all..and there are more I've not yet listed, talk to your child's Dr. Chances are he's fine and just has a lot of questions, but it's worth asking.
    LisaAC

Answer by LisaAC at 7:44 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I work in the MHMR field and I have adult consumers that do that all the time. It is part of their OCD. It could be a stage but I would have him checked anyway just to be sure.
    keystonekat1983

Answer by keystonekat1983 at 8:17 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My son does that, he's 3 1/2. He mostly does it when he's bored, he just wants to talk but doesn't have anything to say, so he repeats himself. Other times he's just asking questions to make noise, so he doesn't bother listening to the answer. If you're worried about a developmental delay, you can get him checked out, but he's probably just being a toddler. :-)
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 8:46 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• HUN IT'S VERY NORMAL. IT'S THEIR WAY OF LEARNING!!!! I KNOW IT'S FRUSTRATING BUT ENCOURAGE IT BECAUSE THEY ARE INTERESTED SO THEY ARE GOING TO ASK QUESTIONS EVEN IF THEY ASKED IT ALL READY. MY SON USE TO DO THAT AND WHEN I WOULD KEEP ANSWERING HIS QUESTIONS EVENTUALLY HE STOPPED ASKING ME FIVE TIMES IN A ROW. YOU DON'T WANT TO DISCOURAGE THEM FROM ASKING QUESTIONS BECAUSE THAT IS THERE WAY OF LEARNING.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My son is 2 and a half and he has done this since he could talk. I think it reassures him to get the same answer every time he asks the question. After he has asked enough times that I am tired of it, I turn it around and ask the question back to him. For example, he says, "Where are we going?" and I reply with "Grandma's." He asks again and again and again and finally I say, "I don't know, where are we going?" and he will answer "Grandma's." I know he hears me when I answer his question, but for some reason he needs to hear it over and over.
    data_lady

Answer by data_lady at 9:24 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• This is typical, this is how they learn stuff!

I have to ignore my nephew sometimes, because he does this all the time and I can't stand to repeat myself.
    muddysuzi

Answer by muddysuzi at 9:37 AM on Oct. 28, 2008