Pagans & Witches... Watch this and tell me what you think...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:00 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• SabrinaMBowen

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:00 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I agree 100%. Evil and Bad things have always been a stereotype for Witches and there is still a lot of misunderstanding about following a path of the Witch and Pagan. She is speaking the truth of the tradition. It may be fun for those who does not understand but it is a very serious time for those of us who do. Now one thing about the term that Halloween being called the day of the dead...In some cultures it is so it is not disrespectful for some.
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 12:13 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I first must say I am not a fan of Laurie Cabot at all.. she is extremely unbalanced and her work does not describe the majority of paganism. I feel that if a person chooses to dress up in any fashion it is their prerogative, regardless of their beliefs or magical path. If a person chooses to dress up in red underwear with a tail, horns and pitch fork.. it is there choice.. if the ritual they are performing uses costuming for a goal for the coming year.. it is their choice what that costume is.. not Laurie Cabots... regardless of how others in the ritual feel about it.. I personally do not use any costuming in my ritual for Samhain.. but I do occasionally dress up and go trick or treating with my son.. and I dress up in the best costume I can come up with for the least amount of money...it is just that plain and simple.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 9:26 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I am not a fan of Laurie Cabot either. Her history is not accurate and full of myths and revisions to suit her agenda. She does not speak for all Pagans much less all WIccans. I'm not even sure what she is beyond some form of Pagan. Her whole view that dressing up is to bring in the positive into your life completely ignores the origin of costumes on Halloween. Mischief Night added many of the familiar elements of the costumes, the trickery, and general sense of "being up to no good" in a fun way. Halloween is strictly an American creation, not a rip off of Gaelic holidays and culture. If anything Samhain in the Wiccan incarnation, being a modern creation, is nothing more than a boiled down archetype of other European holidays around the same time of year. But her whole take on costumes sounds like an attempt to enforce her morals during her party. It is her right to do so, but she does not speak for all.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:10 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I've never heard of this woman. I think she made several balnket statements that I don't agree with. I don't think that Halloween is purely a "Christian" holiday. I don't understand why she is refering to Halloween's contection with death as a negative thing. Death is a part of the cycle of life. It's not negative, it's natural. It can be sad & natural & be worthy of appreciation & respect, they are not mutually exclusive. Overall, I did not like it or agree with m,uch of it.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:47 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• She speaks many truths, but her look is too sterotypical. She might be a lot more credible WITHOUT the black-dyed hair, gothy-style makeup, and black robes. Yes, I like black. It is a witches color of protection against spiritual attack, but it would serve her purpose more fully if she DIDN'T project the stereotype of a "witch". Being a witch is something you are, not a look you "put on" for the rest of the world. That's a message she fails to get across, even in the eyes of a witch like me. I can't imagine christians believing her words when her appearance is just what they expect of a "witch".
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:28 PM on Oct. 17, 2010