Mom in desperate need of advice!

My 6 year old has been sick since wed with fever and abdominal pain. We have been back and forth to the Dr/Er with a battery of test from a strep screen all the way up to a ct scan for appendicitis. They were all negative, and after spending 13 hrs in the Er with and Iv and fluids they discharge us with still running 102 fever, the pediatrician on call refused to give antibiotics for something that they dont know what they are treating. Well today seemed a little better, still have fever and pain, but she was able to eat at least. Now that we are going to bed, she is running 102.5 temp again and feeling terrible. So what am I supposed to do? I begged them last night to admit her and give her fluids and anitbiotics and they refuse. But obviously she is very ill, any advice?

SASSY_MAMA28

Asked by SASSY_MAMA28 at 12:05 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I'm not sure what you should do, but here's a bump. Could you possibly try taking her to a different hospital and explain to them how worried you are and how you aren't satisfied with the medical staff at the other hospital? Best of luck, hope she's feeling better soon!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:08 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• If you're not getting the results you expect, get her in to see another doc.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:09 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• how high has the temp gotten at its worst? how long does tylenol seem to help for? is there vomiting or dairreah ( sorry about that spelling!! ) any food changes before she got sick? were you around different kids before hand?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:10 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I am not sure that would work either, we live in a small town where the drs have the big head, I wish we lived closer to a childrens hospital. I am just worried and frustrated that my kid is so sick an no one can figure out why.
    SASSY_MAMA28

Comment by SASSY_MAMA28 (original poster) at 12:10 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• You could always try to go to a diff doc. but If I were you I would check her often during the night. a fever durring the night is dangerous if the temp goes above 104 but her in a warm NOT HOT bath tub half full of water. this will be very uncomfortable and cold but you have to get the fever down cause it can cause brain damege. and imediatly call the dac and take her back in. if the fever never increasses just keep a close eye on her esecialy at night cold rags usually are a good thing for the forehead in this case.
    EliasMommyDec09

Answer by EliasMommyDec09 at 12:11 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• her temp has been up to 103, we have been giving tylenol and motrin around the clock since wed and it hasnt been below 100.5 since. There is no vomiting or diarrhea just severe pain and fever. she will not eat either, she looks terrible so I dont know what else to do. I am a nurse and I can tell when something is not right, but how do I make the Drs understand?
    SASSY_MAMA28

Comment by SASSY_MAMA28 (original poster) at 12:13 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• does anyone know if those fever towlette thingys work? I have seen them before in the store but have never tried them
    SASSY_MAMA28

Comment by SASSY_MAMA28 (original poster) at 12:14 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Call you ped and ask for a referral to a GI doc. They are infinitely more helpful.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:16 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Did they test her for Mono? An elarged liver with mono can give abdominal pain.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 12:17 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• You could always try them, try to get as much lipuid down her as possible make sure it is cold, perferably water but sprite works too as long as she is drinking I wouldent worry about her not eating.
    EliasMommyDec09

Answer by EliasMommyDec09 at 12:19 AM on Oct. 17, 2010