I was reading someone's answer to a post, and now I have a question for people out there that have teens right now, or have been a teen parent.

No one wants this to happen....BUT...if it were to happen, how would you deal with it. Really think about this question. Also do you think that the teen parent or parents would never be able to make it on their own? Meaning, take care of their child, raise that child properly, and some day get their life back together? Is it impossible in your eyes? What are your thoughts. Again, please only answer if you have a teen age child right now, or you have seen teen pregnancy first hand. Im curious.

bellamommyof4

Asked by bellamommyof4 at 12:41 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I've seen teen pregnancy go both ways. I've known people where the best thing that ever happened in their life was that baby, and others where having a baby completely ruined their plans for the future... I think anything is possible and teen parents have every opportunity to become the best they can be, but I think it takes work and support from friends and family... In no way could I ever imagine not giving my teen all the support they needed - parent or not.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:52 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• We have a teen daughter (15) and I was 16 when she was born. Can teens really support themselves? Yes. We did. We lived with my in laws for 4 months only because my hubby was raised to believe that renting was bad so we bought a house we had to fix before we could move in. I have to say those 4 months were the worst of my life. That said, as soon as we were able we moved into our home. Hubby worked full time and went to school. I went to school thanks to my mom baby sitting for me. He graduated with all As and Bs, I graduated as valedictorian. We are still together and very happy. Are we the norm? No, but it is also not impossible. It takes work and determination.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:53 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I agree with both of you. I read a lot of questions or concerns regarding this topic...and although its a hot topic, and its asked a lot...this time I wanted to hear the pro's and con's. So many are quick to say Nope, it could never work...not my teen, etc. I am a grandmother to the cutest little boy named Jayden. He is three months old. So my son had him with his girl friend at sixteen. They are great parents, but of course I help them out. I only do what a grand parent should do, plus a little bit more. I do not raise him, nor do I support them all the way. Yes I buy diapers here and there, clothes (because I want to) and so doesnt the other grandparent. Both of them work a few days a week..so they support him also. I guess its better when you have family to help you out. I tell them to thank GOD for that every day. I was also a teen mom, but did it all by myself with no help. I turned out just fine. two different stories.
    bellamommyof4

Comment by bellamommyof4 (original poster) at 12:58 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Well, my parents kind of had your mind set. My mom would watch our daughter while I was in school and bought cute outfits for her and stuff. My MIL flat out told me I "ruined her gift from God" when I got pregnant (that gift would be my hubby). She did not want to baby sit when we needed the help, but expected us to spend hubby's day off at their house because they never got to see their grand daughter. Now my daughter has a great bond with my mom, and I think it's because they spent time together when she was little. She is polite to my MIL, but doesn't feel close to her because they never bonded.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:11 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• @scoutmom...sorry to hear that, thats awful! Her son had every bit to do with it, just like you did. I guess my son's gf is lucky to have me..because I have heard a few times that the boys mom usually doenst even want to hear about it.
    bellamommyof4

Comment by bellamommyof4 (original poster) at 1:41 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I come from a very interesting background having experienced Adoption, Abortion and raising 4 kids along with being a surrogate.
    I'd support my kids and help them make the decision that was right for them.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:04 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I believe that with tolerance, patience, love and non-judgemental guidance, teens can assume responsibility over the new life they have created. They will need lots of support, shoulders to cry on, and someone who will listen to what they have to say, but in the end, if the teen is fully committed, it will be a positive experience with a happy ending. It will not be an easy task, but it can be done. So yes, I do believe that a teen can become a successful parent, as long as she has the maturity/responsibility to assume the consequence of her action, the willingness to work hard, a good support group, and lots of love!! Give her a chance and don't judge her.. :)
    Grotezus

Answer by Grotezus at 6:00 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• it can be done i was a mom at 16 but i wouldnt recommed early marriage because no teen is really ready for that case in point my bf at the time asked me to marry him BEFORE i got pregnant we didnt get married until she was 1 week shy of her 1st birthday i was 17 he was 20 by the time i was 19 and he was 22 he STILL had a thing for 15 year olds (i was 15 when we started dating) and it wasnt that i wasnt a good wife because i was i mean i was always cooking cleaning baking taking care of our daughter and pregnant with our son but he couldnt keep his hands off teens needless to say the last teen he messed around with is the one thats he is stuck unhappy with 2day its been over 7 years since i left him he hasnt divorced me b/c he doesnt want to marry her (but im filing for a divorce im getting remarried yay me) i even know for a fact that her 1st 2 kids are NOT his and the 3rd she is preggo with who knows.....
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 1:26 PM on Oct. 17, 2010