Moms of boys: is there something wrong with my DS' privates?

TMI? Since this morning, the head of my toddler's penis seems reddish. (He's circ'd.) It doesn't seem to be swollen and he doesn't seem to be bothered, but I was just wondering what could be causing it? He's been urinating regularly all day as well.

I have him mostly in cloth training pants all day, and it seems to be most red after he's peed into the trainers. We've been using the trainers for almost 2 weeks and haven't changed laundry detergent, so I'm not sure if it's a reaction from that. (Plus, it's just the head part; the rest of his privates look normal.)

Anyone have experience on something similar?

phoofy

Asked by phoofy at 12:43 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Kids' Health

• It could have just been rubbing differently in his undies or he could have irritated it playing with it... I would say keep an eye on it and ask him if it hurts, if you notice any discharge, or further irritation call his doctor, but if it's not hurting and there doesn't seem to be any other issues it's most likely just some irritation... Nothing to worry about.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:46 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Fortunatly I do my ten month old has sensitive skin and the end gets red right after It has been washed or after he uses his dipper. what you should do is get A&D ointment at your nerest pharmacy and put that on him every time you change hes training pants it will get better.
    EliasMommyDec09

Answer by EliasMommyDec09 at 12:47 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Ah, I have some A&D and didn't even think of trying some of it! So used to just using it on his bum when he gets a little rash-y.

No discharge or anything else out of the ordinary. Will definitely keep an eye on it tomorrow (and if he happens to be scratching/playing more than usual).

Thanks!
    phoofy

Comment by phoofy (original poster) at 12:55 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• yeah mine went to the doc thu and the doc had to detach the skin around it cause it was growing together, after that his winkie dink was red and bleeding and he wouldent let me touch it. I put some of that on it and it already looks better. and it dosent hurt him anymore.
    EliasMommyDec09

Answer by EliasMommyDec09 at 1:03 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My nephew who isnt circ. had an issue like that once his penis turned bright red at first it didnt bother him so my sister made a doctors appointment for the next day to get it checked. The next morning he was doing potty and started screaming bloody murder. So she called the dr and took him in right away. It turned out that his urethra (sp?) was too narrow and urine was getting stuck in his penis and the urethra was getting really irritated they gave her some cream to put on it everyday to help it relax and spread out a bit. Now he doesnt have any problems. I doubt thats what happening with your ds but Just wanted to share, bc at first there was no pain for him either.
    I will say though A&D cures everything lol I even put it on ds's chin and cheeks when they get chapped
    joscelyne

Answer by joscelyne at 1:06 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I have a daughter, but I have a much younger brother.

He messed with it A LOT when the switch out of diapers happened. He had better access and pulled on himself constantly. Which could lead to redness. With 2 big sisters and a SAHM, we still couldn't keep him frommplaying in his big boy undies. Boys are phenomenal!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:12 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Oh goodness! Thank you, joscelyne, for that tip. I'll definitely keep that in mind if it gets worse.

LOL @ ecodani. Boys will be boys? ;)
    phoofy

Comment by phoofy (original poster) at 1:25 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• no problem =-), @ecodani My oldest is that way its his favorite thing to play with! thank goodness he finally learned that thats something he should do in private and not in front of a room full of people! lol.. I dont think I've ever meet a little boy that didnt do that kind of stuff from time to time
    joscelyne

Answer by joscelyne at 1:29 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• You said it was a bit swollen? My son's had gotten to be a bit red and swollen I freaked rushed him the er to find out that he had a single hair wrapped around it cutting off most of the circulation. easy fix! But as much as I worried about it and looked at it that morning I never once noticed the hair. So look closely!!!
    carterclan02

Answer by carterclan02 at 2:50 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• bump
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 3:38 PM on Oct. 17, 2010