WHAT ARE YOUR VIEWS ON THE BORN ALIVE ACT?

PERSONALLY I AM ALL FOR IT AND BELIEVE THAT IF A BABY HAS THAT MUCH WILL HOW CAN WE JUST LET THEM DIE, I AM ALSO PRO-LIFE, I USED TO BE PRO-CHOICE AND AS I HAVE STATED BEFORE I HAVE USED THAT CHOICE SO I KNOW FROM BOTH SIDES, BUT WHAT DO YOU LADIES THINK ABOUT ITALL?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I really have mixed feeling on this. While I could never stand by as one of those nurses or doctors and let a baby die that was born alive, I see how many potential health problems these babies may have from being born prematurely (and under such horrible circumstances) and wonder about their quality of life. The mothers obviously do not want these children, or feel that they cannot have them, so these disabled children will end up more than likely in the system with substandard medical care. The answer isn't the Born Alive Act, it's outlawing abortions after the point of viability altogether, so that such tradgedies don't occur in the first place.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:36 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• to me I just cant justify abortion at all, thats JMO - I can't terminate a baby based on any purpose
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 5:09 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Okay, these would not be disabled children. The Born-Alive Protection Act protects pre-viable fetuses that are born temporarily alive. There have already been laws on place for many years that guarantee an infant medical care even if it is born through a late-term abortion. This new act forces doctors to administer treatment even to a child that has NO chance of survival. There is no technology that can sustain a fetus outside a mother's womb before it's body is mature enough.

This is a piece of legislation that was written solely to redefine infant rights for the purpose of altering women's reproductive rights. It does NOT help those babies in any way. Please research this on your own. It is not monstrous infanticide as the very powerfully influential pro-life lobby would have you believe. Sad but very true.

CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 5:21 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I think that no woman wants to have a late-term abortion, and in the majority of cases, it's a heart-wrenching decision that should be between the mother and her doctor.

For how I feel about Obama supposedly supporting Infanticide, this should tell you..

Obama_supports_infanticide?

msmoody

Answer by msmoody at 7:27 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• The BAIA declares that any child born alive, including those through failed abortion attempts, is considered a person under federal law. I think it is necessary. To say it only strips away the mother's rights is selfish. We need to stop and ask ourselves when this child really becomes a human being and when it's time to start protecting them. To allow them to die because they didn't want them is irresponsible. If they didn't want a child, they shouldn't have had sex.

Those that feel it alters a woman's reproductive rights should take that up with their congressperson, because both pro-choice and pro-life senators and representatives overwhelmingly supported it.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2002/08/20020805-6.html
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i support a womans right to chose but honestly 90% of these womn know they are pregnant before the 12 weeks mark they jsut dont want to decide well damn it force them to decide i knew from day one i wanted my son i also knew from day one abortion wasnt an option. so why is it that they cant decide by 12 weeks i think that after 12 weeks there should be no abortions at all unless its a medical emergancy (liek the baby is literaly killing the mother) . im sorry but after 12 weeks that thing is no longer a thing its a baby a living fealing thinking loveing trusting baby and it should be given rights
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 7:49 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I have worked with MDs for a lot of my professional career and guess what? No doctor that I know would perform a late term abortion just because the mom wanted to use belated birth control. No doctor I know would deny life saving treatment to a child who is born alive. I find it a little odd that we even have a debate about this law. I also have to wonder, why do we only get this worked about about the abortion debate in an election year. The repubs have had 8 years to work on overturning Roe vs Wade. What have they done? Nothing. And for the record...I personally am pro-life. I would never have an abortion. But I also don't condemn women who do. We all live with our choices and the consequences of our choices. Who I am to judge someone else?
    profmom922

Answer by profmom922 at 8:47 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• One thing I don't understand now is the whole roe vs. wade decision. The woman "roe" is now a christian and fights for life now. She had 3 babies and not one abortion. any ways the born alive infant protection act is a must in some places. It does happen. Christ hospital in Chicago is the most famous for leaving babies in a cold dirty laundry room. (this was told by a nurse that worked there. And most of these babies are perfectly healthy not special needs.(even that i think is despicable.)   I think that after the point that blood flows in the the embryo (about 18 days after conception) should be the point that babies get to live.

3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 9:22 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I haven't really read the act. But from what I see here It seems it makes doctors provide medical care for them. I'm all for it. For one, I'm against any kind of abortion. For 2 I believe every baby deserves a chance and even if they have no chance to survive, they should still be given care enough so they can pass on as painless as possible.

kittynala

Answer by kittynala at 9:25 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Honestly this whole discussion makes me sick. I watched a video of a nurse that worked in an Illinois hospital that rocked a baby in her arms until it died because of something about it being a failed abortion. There are way too many people in this world that are trying to have a baby and can't and they would glady adopt an unwanted child. So I agree with the 12 week statement. If you didn't abort the baby before 12 weeks, put it up for adoption. That's just my opinion.
    katyameliasmom

Answer by katyameliasmom at 9:26 AM on Oct. 28, 2008