Advice for litter training a kitten?

Well, the kitten is now in the house and he's got a litter box with newspapers underneath and nice fresh litter. His food is in another room as well. What else can I do to make him want to use the litter box?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 12:46 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Pets

• I would take my newly adopted kitten, put them in a clean litterbox, moved their paws back and fourth to pretend scratch... And that's it.

I've never had to "litter train" any cat. =)

*Happy owner to three cats atm!*
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 12:50 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• continuously put him in the box cats have a natrual Instinct to burry their stuff so eventually it will kick in. another thing is to put cat nip in the litter box im not sure how much that will help but you can try it.
    EliasMommyDec09

Answer by EliasMommyDec09 at 12:50 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• If you have trouble with him using the box and wanting to go in other places, restrict the area he is allowed to be in. Use a dog crate if you have one or can borrow one for a little while - they are very effective - that's what I have always done with mine until they learn. The crate also keeps them out of trouble when you can't be watching them. The kitten we have right now has her own crate with a cake pan as her litter "box". I started her out on paper towels because she wanted to play in the litter. Now I'm having trouble getting her to switch to regular litter, though. Guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just clean up the litter she plays in until she gets the idea !!!
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 4:24 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Some of the fragrance, or green, cat litters are a turn off to cats so be careful if that is the type you have.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:03 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I've had cats all of my life and never had one not use the litter box. When they were kittens, I would take them to the box, rake the litter with one of their paws and that was it. They would jump out and run immediately because they didn't like the being forced a bit part! Gently or not, they don't like that kind of control over them! lol Of course I thought I'd be doing that off and on, but after showing them one time, that was it. I don't think that's anything special, just typical! If the kitten is going in other parts of the house, you may want to close in the area that he's allowed to run around in until he starts using the box.
    Enjoy the wonderful kitten time, that's not only sweet but keep you laughing!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 11:21 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• As everyone else has stated. Just put kitty in the box and move his paw in a raking movement. He'll get it. Also, is it a boxed in box or open? Some small kittens do NOT like the covered boxes.
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 1:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Um,..it's totally a natural instinct. No need to train.
    XdollskinX

Answer by XdollskinX at 8:35 PM on Oct. 17, 2010