November is Diabetes Awareness Month. DO YOU HAVE GESTATIONAL DIABETES?

I was diagnosed around 24 weeks and it was the scariest thing ever. Since then I've learned to control it. What was your experience and when did you get diagnosed?? How are you sugar levels??

rachealbyrd

Asked by rachealbyrd at 1:52 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have never had it. My DH is Type 1 though and we just did the Step Out Diabetes Walk here in Alaska today!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:55 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I had it with my second but kept it under control by watching my diet and sugar levels. My sugar levels are perfectly normal now. I also had yeast infection with my second for the whole 9 months and nothing worked for it. The yeast literally disappeared the second day after giving birth. It was all hormonal. Right now I am battling cystic breasts caused again by hormonal activity, though I am not taking any pills. Just weaned though. All in all I can say my body is acting up a lot when it comes to having kids.
    glenndoir

Answer by glenndoir at 2:16 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• i got it towards the end with my first. i flipped out and cried .. my doctor told me he wasnt worried because i did not gain any excessive weight... as long as i watched myself i would be fine. i did and i was.. sweettt deal for me. my mom on the other hand got it with me ..idk how that went. got it with my brother... had to take shots and monitor sugar levels... bad deal
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 2:36 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Yes I have it!!! I was 26wks when I found out! I need to test my sugar levels 4 times a day. As of right now my sugar levels are not that bad....... I have kept them below 120 for the most part. I have trouble with my morning sugar test. But I have been learning how to control that. For the past 2 weeks it has been a challenge, but it will be worth it in the end. I have had to learn what my body can handle. I find it very hard to find things to eat that will not spike my sugar levels but still be full. I usually eat every 4 hours with snacks in between.
    My goal is to avoid insulin!
    tambam75

Answer by tambam75 at 10:54 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I was diagnosed when I was 28 wks. I'm having a hard time at the beginning during breakfast time, b/c I LOVE to have breakfast. I was over 120 almost every morning before I go to the dietician. My lunch and dinner are always good. AT first I'm afraid to eat fruits and stuff, now I always include some fruit as snack or during dinner time. It's hard though, b/c all I eat is meat and veggies and bread. I crave pizza, pasta and other stuff. I know I can eat them, but only very little it's not satisfying. Its hard to find food to eat a lot of times and I can't drink any juice or soda :(. I'm 33 wks now and hanging in there, if I ate a slice of pizza I would need to walk for half hr to burn it off. It's all worth it at the end, I don't want my baby to be over weight, now he's 4 lbs and I only gained 10lbs so far from the pregnancy. I will do whatever to avoid insulin, testing myself 4 times a day is brutal!!!!
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 4:33 PM on Oct. 17, 2010