Really want to continue breastfeeding! Please help!

Okay ladies, my little girl is now 6 months old as of yesterday and I have breastfed her this whole time, cept for the past 3months I have had to supplement with formula because my milk supply is so diminished. I nurse her everytime I can! I feel like if it doesn't start picking back up or something I may have to stop breastfeeding. I 100% believe in breastfeeding and would LOVE to be able to 100% breastfeed her if possible! ANY ADVICE???

ZammiesMommy

Asked by ZammiesMommy at 2:19 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• There are certain beers you can drink thatbwill help. Also, what helped me was putting malted milk in my milk when I drank it! Good luck!
    mommareynolds09

Answer by mommareynolds09 at 2:25 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• You could cut out the formula completely, and breastfeed then. Your breast milk is supply and demand, the more you nurse, the more milk you will make.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 2:26 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• why did you feel as though you needed to supplement? Most women really do make enough milk and do not need to supplement.
    I'd cut out the formula at this age. She is now old enough to get some of her nourishment from foods and only breastmilk. As a previous poster said, breast milk is based upon supply and demand. If her nursing picks up, she will encourage your body to make more.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 2:44 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• nurse her when you can, and pump in between. I would nurse, pump, nurse, pump..yadda yadda and I tried for 5 months until I realized my body just didn't want to breastfeed. Good for you for trying!!
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 2:58 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• eat oatmeal or oatmeal cookies.. for some reason it increases your milk like crazy and alfalfa mothers milk tea, you can take fenugreek pills. Also if you haven't yet join some of the nursing groups here on cafemom they helped me out alot when I thought I was doing something wrong or I'd have to quit. we made it to 15 months If I hadn't had the groups on cafemom I honestly doubt I would've made it so far
    joscelyne

Answer by joscelyne at 2:59 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I try to nurse her every 2 hours, or even less. She will stay on for 10 minutes or longer but uses it more as a pacifier than anything. I don't have much, I haven't been engorged since she was a month old. My milk supply has gone down dramatically, so thats why I had t o supplement.
    ZammiesMommy

Comment by ZammiesMommy (original poster) at 3:02 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• What are you basing your supply on? Most women don't get engorged after supply has been established, that's a GOOD thing! Was she not making enough diapers, or---?

How much formula is she getting now? To increase your supply you need to decrease the formula and let her do the work to increase supply. Your body doesn't just automatically know how much to make, she needs to tell your body how much she needs.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:09 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I needed to supplement my son with formula too because of my supply. I found that a supplement called "More milk plus" helped a lot with increasing my supply and then I also tried to pump more often. I Added a pumping session every night before bed at the same time and my body learned to make more milk at that time.... I then used that milk to supplement with instead of formula if I could. I also pumped some during the day if I had the time... I found I had a lot of milk during the day time and not as much in the evening... and he of coarse wanted to eat MORE in the evening and it was stressing me out because he was so cranky! So if I pumped more during the day I could supplement with breastmilk in the evening.
    make sure that any time you supplement with breastmilk or formula you take the time to pump right after... you have to let your body know there is still that demand or it will never catch up.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:55 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I would cut out the formula and put her to the breast more often. Every time you supplement, you're hurting your supply! If you feel like you absolutely have to supplement, then pump when you do. Although, you will have to work harder to maintain supply this way! This is because a pump can not remove the milk as efficiently as a nursing baby can. Also, know that the amount you pump is NOT a good gauge of how much your baby is getting. (again, because babies are more efficient!) Most breast feeding mothers can only pump 1/2 oz. to 2 oz. between both breasts in one pumping session. As long as she's not losing weight, and she's having 4-5 wet diapers a day, she's getting enough breast milk. If you're giving baby food by now, nurse first! I know, breast feeding is tough! But good for you for keeping it up, and wanting to keep it up! Also, kellymom.com is a great website to find answers to your questions.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 10:38 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• PUMP PUMP PUMP! Pump in between feedings. As soon as you started giving her formula, you dont produce as much as she needs to eat because she gets her food elsewhere. i was in the hospital and wasnt able o BF (raidation) for a few weeks so I know my supply wont be the same. I pump and pump but Im giving up. Im just BF at night. Good Luck I hope it works out. The good news is you did it for 6 months that AWESOME!!! At least she is still getting a little of what she needs from the little you are doing... Go to sprout and pick up some supplements as well...
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:05 AM on Oct. 17, 2010