34 weeks and already 5lbs?

I'm currently 34 weeks and 4 days, and my baby is measuring at 5 1/2 lbs already! First is that a normal weight for 34 weeks? I'm not due until Dec. 5th, but I think by then he's going to be HUGE! I don't want to have a big baby, honestly don't think my 5'4" self can take it and I started the pregnancy at 110lbs. Do you think it's possible for me to get induced earlier, so that he won't be as big when I deliver?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• thats actually pretty normal and if they would induce wouldnt be til 37 weeks
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 4:59 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• heeeeeeeeeeeeeey! you stole my same due date....anyways, i feel the pain - my little tank is, well a tank too. im the same height too (started at 120) my dr. says its all good, and I DO NOT recommend being induced just because of his weight. (your dr may or maynot agree) when hes ready, he'll come. my friend was induced and her baby had all sorts of problems - mostly his lungs weren't ready. you will more than likely have to have a cecerian even if you get induced. patience - i know im out of it myself! good luck!!!!!
    itsaboy1208

Answer by itsaboy1208 at 5:03 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My son was a big boy too .... he was born 9.2 lbs and luckily it was a c-section... not because of that reason though. Good Luck! Dont worry about it... there's women that have delivered 14lbs babies remember?? lol
    firstXmomTX

Answer by firstXmomTX at 5:23 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• all this about c-sections! I don't want to have a c-section :(
    Smexkitten

Answer by Smexkitten at 5:25 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Doctors can only GUESS how much your baby will weigh. They don't know for absolute 100% sure that your baby weighs five pounds. They could be off by two pounds or two ounces, you won't know until you deliver.

I know it's hard to not worry...but try not to sweat it =] Your body will never give you anything you can't handle, even if you don't think you can!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:46 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i agree with the last post the docs told me my son was 7 something and turns out he was 8 lbs 10 ounces so they can only guess they are not sure i wasnt induced til acouple days til my due date and being induced i thought was worse then going into labor on my own
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:04 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Well at my 35 week appointment they told me my dd would only be 4 lbs at birth if I was luck.. Well she was 6 lbs and 6 oz.. They can be off by a pound or 2 each way... Don't worry I'm sure your baby will be of normal size.. Good Luck!!

Mazie0723

Answer by Mazie0723 at 7:40 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I don't know how well I trust those "guesses" those doctors do. When I was almost 34 weeks along I had an ultrasound because I was having problems. Somehow the food supply had been cut off to the baby and they wanted to check how big he was and to see if I should be induced. At 34 weeks the dr. told me that the baby was only 2 lbs! He said not to worry since that was in the "normal" range for my body type. I am the same size as you. I ended up having my son DAYS later and he was 4 lbs 14 ozs. I thought holy crap if my baby gained 2 pounds in a couple days than I don't want to know how big he would have been if I had him weeks later. I still think those darn things are wrong. No way in hell.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 7:45 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• u/s is not accurate. it can be off by a pound or more. they told me my son was 5 lbs 8 oz at 32 weeks, and 7 lbs 8 oz at 37 weeks, and he came out 7 lbs 5 oz at 39 weeks exactly. dont listen, your baby is most likely a normal size.
    Mama2Joshy

Answer by Mama2Joshy at 7:56 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• oh, and they typically will not induce until 38-39 weeks unless medically necessary.
    Mama2Joshy

Answer by Mama2Joshy at 7:57 AM on Oct. 28, 2008