2year olds and binky's??

My daughter is 2& a half and is attached to her pacifier! when she was a year old her dad left us, and she became more attached to the pacifier,there was one everywhere(his babysitting technique), so she always had one, at a year and a half it was almost gone, and she went into the hospital, when she got really sick, for a week thats what the nurses gave her, since then she has been stuck on them, january this year a year actually...i have tried talkin to her, distracting etc, she always ends up with one back in her mouth from her grandparents or that one she hides all the time, or she just screams and screams till shes purple about them, what did you do?shes really good about everything else fully potty trained b4 2even, never had a bottle, was on sippys by 2mnths and quit nursing byherself at 1yr im confused, and would like some advice. its time for it(binky) to go bye bye

kyliebugs_mommy

Asked by kyliebugs_mommy at 2:54 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we went on a trip and forgot it at home. 5 hours of screaming in the car but we have both gotten over that now
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 2:56 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Toss em in the trash. It really bothers me to see toddlers/young kids with binkies.

I boxed my daughters up at 11 months and didn't look bad. =/

Thankfully, we do not live within 4,000 miles of any family members, so we didn't have someone offering her one. And frankly, if people did that we'd have a seriously talking to with them, and likely lay the law down and tell them flat out "Look no binkies. Bring them around and we're gonna have to ask you to leave".

I know it's easy to make excuses, but fortunately when she is weaned DOES lie within your hands, you just have to realize that. Best of wishes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My daughter was (pretty) easy to get off the binky but we had her throw each of them away with us and congratulated her for being a big girl and what not. But for you I really think you need to just toss them out of the house and never look back. She will throw her fits and it's going to be hard but I bet within the week she will be more used to the idea and not throw fits anymore. It will be hard to begin with but it will be worth it in the end.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 3:13 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• You're probably going to have to do it the hard way and just get rid of them, mama. It will be *really* hard, and she will be really upset, but you will both get over it.

(By the way, it sounds to me like she is probably not the kind of kiddo that will be okay with seeing you toss them. You'll probably have to do it in secret and then just deal when she can't find one.)
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 3:39 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My 2 yr old still has them, but we cut the ends off. All he can do is hold them for comfort; they won't stay in his mouth. He was really upset at first that they were 'broken' and wanted us to fix them. Cutting the end breaks the suction, so they don't get the effect they're looking for. This was a suggestion from our dentist when I asked for ideas on how to break the habit. Be careful to cut it in a way that it is not a choking hazard for pieces to tear off, of course. We did this a couple months ago, and now he's used to it. We've thrown a few more away over the past few weeks. I think he may have 2 left now, so hopefully he will be ready to completely separate from them by the time we lose those.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:33 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Just get rid of it cold turkey. We tried cutting tips off or poking holes in them, shoot my son even bit holes in his. Never worked. Only thing that worked was to throw them away and never look back. You may have a couple bad days, but once you get past that you are fine. My son has been off his for a month now.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 12:17 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My son and nephews pediatrician said it was fine to have a binkie until 3 years old. My son got tired of his, so I didn't have a problem my nephew didn't want to let his go so what my sister did because he was 3 and understood a little more, was have nana pop her false teeth out at him and she said she lost her teeth because she sucked her binkie to long lol. Which is the same thing that my mom did with me I guess I sucked a binkie till I was about 3 1/2, they just had a family friend that had them do to the same to me. My mom said I took my binkie and threw it in the trashcan and never looked back lol. I don't know if your dd would understand that at 2 but its worth a try lol or maybe worth a try if she doesn't let go by 3 =-).
    joscelyne

Answer by joscelyne at 2:07 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I wanted to add that we also told my nephew that there were other babies that needed his binkies. So after nana did what she did. lol he helped us find all of his binkies even his hidden ones and we put them in a little box and told him we were going to take it to the hospital for the new babies to use. He liked that (it helped that my sister was pregnant at the time) and all of it worked he didnt have a hard time letting go after all of that.
    joscelyne

Answer by joscelyne at 2:11 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My son was never attached to his and his went bye bye before he was a year old. I took his away.

Now I had a friend whom I baby sat for 20 yrs ago.. and her child HAD to have that binky and I told her..( my friend ) "The BINKY fairy was coming and taking that dang thing away! Your child is almost 4 yrs old and will have spech issues if you dont! "

Her child DOES have speech issues ( slightly now ), and speaks with a lisp and it took MY putting them up away from even her and daring her to get another binky.......I said," She is fine with me for 10 hours a day with out them...she will be fine as long as YOU don't give in........once I said the binky fairy came and took the binkys for the itty bitty babies who need them since she was grown up...and a BIG GIRL NOW.....and gave her a new doll to play with and a few new toys........she forgot all about the thing!"

THAT worked....and my friend didnt give in either!
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 4:01 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Yep Jocelyne.... thats what I did! I let her little girl help me decorate this little box.. tied a bow on top....even showed her pics on the PC of babies whom needed binkies......and she sat with me at the table with her new baby doll and was all happy with it.

Good luck! Hopefully family will not give in and give her any more paci' s !!
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 4:08 PM on Oct. 17, 2010