Is it okay to share a bath with a four year son?

As a busy mom sometimes i find it easier to just to grab my son and put him under the shower when iam having one rather than get out and start the process all over after iam done. Is it weaird? He loves it to bit and sometimes cries not in a tantrum way but more of a dejected may i please bath with you way.

maimutsa

Asked by maimutsa at 5:19 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i dont find it weird my son is just 2 but he fusses when i don't want to shower with him... my mom said she stop showering with us and my dad when we asked what body parts were... and when i asked dad why dont i have one... that was when i watched the birds and bees movie and no more showers with mom or dad!! GL on what u decide
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 6:25 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• No, I don't think that it is such a good idea, cause at that age they start to ask a lot of questions. Yes, it is convient, but no, I wouldn't ! I wouldn't even let my two grandkids, boy and girl at that age take a bath together, because they started asking the question, why?
    Freda01

Answer by Freda01 at 6:36 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I think it's fine. My son is almost 4 and me and my husband still sometimes take showers with him. My son has already asked what my vagina is and I am very honest with him. You don't have to give them a long drawn out answer. If he asks just tell him that boys and girls have different private parts and make sure they know that you shouldn't touch other people's private parts which they should have already been taught to keep their hands to themselves anyway. Many parents feel that once their child starts asking about private parts then it's time to stop being naked around them but my husband and I choose to not make a big deal out of it. We feel that in not making a big deal out of it the less interested he will be when he hits puberty. That's just our opinion though. You should do whatever you feel is right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:04 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i dont think i stopped taking one with my son at 4 hrs 5 now and he knows hes not aloud to take one with moommy anymore but he still once in awhile takes one with his dad he knows we have diff private parts now he has asked me why does he have balls lol i told him to ask daddy moomy dont know but it should be fine
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:08 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing...a little wierd for me personally though. I do think that at that age you definitely need to be prepared to answer all of the questions about your differences and be prepared for whatever he goes out and tells other people about your differences....one of my nephews happily announced to the whole family at his birthday party that his Mommy had breasts. Soon though, I think it'll need to stop, you don't want him to grow up and have memories of mommy naked.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:23 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I used to love taking showers with my kids. It was easier for me, and some of the my kids were afraid of baths or showers until I started to take them in with me. But when my oldest turned four, I started to worry about him having memories of it. I have memories from when I was three. I really don't feel comfortable with him having memories of seeing me naked. So think to yourself, would you feel like your son would be uncomfortable with this when he is older? I'm sure that most men would not like memories of being in the shower with mom as a kid.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 10:24 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I don't think it's a good idea. I stopped taking showers with him when he has a year old. I have my husband take a shower with him or I just shower him by himself. I really don't feel comfortable being naked around my 4 yr old. Even when changing I just tell him that boys/guys shouldn't see a girl changing. lol
    jcampos

Answer by jcampos at 5:11 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I shower with my 3 year old on occasion. I stopped with my older son when he was 4. He was asking all kinds of questions. You'll know when it's time to stop. If he doesn't say anything, then it's fine. My son (3) and daughter (5) still take a bath together. It's so much easier for me.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:10 PM on Oct. 29, 2008