what would you do...

We were driving today and in front of us was a car with three ladies and two small (maybe a 1 and 2 year old) in the back seat. The children weren't in car seats or wearing seat belts, the ladies were all smoking cigarettes, I could see they were passing mcdonalds around. They finally put a seat belt on the little little one but they put it on her like grown ups wear a seat belt. I wanted to go slap those ladies... what would you do?

dbodani

Asked by dbodani at 3:15 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• i would have called 911. nothing can be done about them smoking and eating in the same car, but it is illegal for children to be unrestrained. i don't hesitate to call the police for stuff like that; even on the hwy.
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 3:26 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I would have minded my own business.  I don't feel like policing the whole world.  If they want to do stupid stuff with their kids...that's their perogative.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:36 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• you know thats a hard question,, i have seen this b4, the smoking dont bother me as long as the window is down.. young kids not buckled, however i have a 4 yr old that can get out of everything we have tried... i do pull over and put her back in her seat . i would hate it if someone called the police just as she was getting up. b4 i could stop ..... so guess what i am saying is that we dont know the whole story we should leave it alone......
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 6:28 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Call 911 and give them the license number of the car and explain what was going on. The eating and the smoking aren't anything to report but the lack of seat belts is! It's not only illegal but very dangerous! I don't see if this is something that you have to know all of the circumstances because no seat belts is very clear. Unsafe and illegal!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 9:22 PM on Oct. 17, 2010