Ambigrams?

Does anyone know what an ambigram is, and what do you think of them.
My SO really likes ambigrams, and i suprised him by getting his name tattooed on me as an ambigram, i like the way it looks and he loves it but almost everyone who has seen it thinks it says something else i've had several people guess several different names and just wondered what your thoughts were on it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I am getting my son's name tattooed in the form of an ambigram right above my c-section scar - that way I can read his name when I look down at my belly, and when I look in the mirror. :)
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 3:36 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• never heard of it. what is it?
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 3:32 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• The most common type is the rotational ambigram. One form is a word or phrase written in such a way that it appears identical even when it is read upside-down (like the word “ambigram” in the logo for Ambigram.com)

Another form of rotational ambigram is a word or phrase written in such a way that a second (different) word appears when read upside-down. For example, writing the word “angel” so that it says the word “devil”. The asymmetric rotational ambigram is also known as a symbiotogram.

Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:33 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• A reflected ambigram is symmetrical with respect to a horizontal or vertical axis. It is symmetrical from left-to-right and says “Waterfalls”. These are sometimes called mirror ambigrams since they appear identical even when reflected in a mirror held to the side.

A word or phrase that requires a shift in perception instead of orientation. For instance, creating a design that can be read as both the word “wave” and the word “particle” at the same time.
    Glamourina

• even tho the answer was enough to make my head spin (i'm a very visual person, have to see it), i'm gonna check it out :) sounds cool.
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 3:46 AM on Oct. 17, 2010