Ok...question for cat lovers. I just got two kittens, because my girls were begging for them.....

So my daughters really wanted a kitten...plural! lol...well when I went to go get the kitten his brother was crying really bad when I was getting ready to leave, so I got really sad and took him to! Now I am like OMG what did I do. They are the cutest things, and I will still think they are when they are all grown up. I love them already, but I am extremely clean with my house...ok maybe OCD with my house. Well the kittens are starting to make the house smell, and I am freaking out. How can I make it not smell like I have cats? Any suggestions on kitty liter, maybe a closed in cat box, etc. I need any advice possible.

bellamommyof4

Asked by bellamommyof4 at 3:50 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Pets

• I don't recommend closed in cat boxes. Some cats wont take to them, then you REALLY have a mess on your hands!

Clean it with bleach every 2 days. Take it outside, spray it down, let the bleach soak in it. Then when it's dry, put baking soda on the bottom, then fill it up with litter. We use the crystals blends kind. Works well. We have three cats.

Secondly, get used to having two litter boxes. Right now you don't need two, but you will. It's recommended one per cat.

We also have Glade PlugIns in every room, as well as Febreze. Spray your couch down and whatever else as needed, at least daily, with it. We keep Stick Ups right above the litter boxes as well, and they're kept in our laundry room where we rarely go except to do laundry or clean them out.

Thirdly, sweep/mop/vacuum/whatever as often as you can. If you have carpet, clean it often. Trust me a LOT of odor harbors in your floor.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:55 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Getting a pair was a good idea on your part, even if it wasn't planned. They'll have a buddy to keep them company when you're not home, which will be a good thing. Just make sure you get them fixed as early as your vet will allow to avoid any unwanted babies.

When I had multiple cats, I used Arm & Hammer Multiple Cats (it's scoop-able) and added in a box of Arm & Hammer baking soda every time I did a complete litter change (every 2 weeks or so, or as needed). Where are you keeping it? I just scooped their poop/pee every time I used the bathroom myself. Putting a towel under the litter box, with at least 4-6" extra around for them to walk on will help cut down on litter being tracked out of whatever room you're keeping it in. As they grow this will need to increase but it should do fine for now. I have a fairly small home, and guests who didn't realize I owned didn't know it. Congrats on your new babies!
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:55 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Also, it's probably a good idea to invest in some sort of window bench or tall house for your new kittens. Without it, they're going to start climbing on cabinets/book cases/etc... It's much easier to train them to stay off if you provide them with this, as it's just part of being a cat to want to be as tall as the ceiling! =)

Congrats on your new babies. I am sure you'll have lots of fun!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:57 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• thanks guys....I already do love them....my daughters will not put them down! They carry them around like they are babies, and the cats love it. I would think they would be annoyed lol. They sleep in my daughters beds, in their play play pens, their play carriages, and their toy boxes. They are funny! They are however getting annoying with the scratching stuff! ahh! I am constantly saying...NO! And then of course biting every wire they can find. But what do I do to get them to stop scratching things they shouldnt be. Do I just buy one of them posts? will they learn thats where you scratch and no where else? Its like they know that I am the mom, when I say NO with a stern voice they quickly stop and run. They are just like kids! I feel bad one of them is always getting in someones way, poor little guy has been stepped on a few times...now we walk around on our tip toes. And he is still right there under you, not knowing it!
    bellamommyof4

Comment by bellamommyof4 (original poster) at 4:03 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• And as far as the kitty liter thing. The scoopable kind is kind of gross in my mind because I bought the multi cats, and the arm and hammer...and both clump good...but underneath the kitty liter...its rock hard, and you have to basically scrape the bottom really hard...and its so gross! I dont like this scoop stuff at all. What should I do in that case? I will never wait more than three days to change the whole box...that kind of seems gross if I didnt.
    bellamommyof4

Comment by bellamommyof4 (original poster) at 4:05 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• It's instincts. You need to get them a scratching post. It will likely still happen occasionally, but not as much and will save your furniture. Replace it every 6 months or so.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 4:05 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Yeap, all three of mine were kittens at the EXACT same time. Drove me absolutely nuts! Haha! =) You'll enjoy them 100% =)

At around 6 months you can start giving them cat nip. They generally don't react to it before then, and some cats never react to it!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 4:06 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Ya dont think I will be giving these cats cat nip lol. No thanks....they are wild enough. But I am glad I got two because they have each other to play with...I plan on making them house cats, so this way they will have each other.....now I just have to deal with their smell. Its driving me crazy.
    bellamommyof4

Comment by bellamommyof4 (original poster) at 4:08 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I don't personally dig the scoopable kind. I like the one we use very much.

We clean ours every 2-3 days... However, we clean their area every single day.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3399937 Is what we use.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 4:10 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Catnip is something that is a lot of fun. Ours rarely gets it and they haven't had it in over a year, but my cats first time was HILARIOUS! He went absolutely bonkers hehe.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 4:11 AM on Oct. 17, 2010