Would you change who you are if other parents weren't letting their children play with your children just because of your looks or religious preference?

Asked by SaraTafolla at 5:23 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I sure as heck would not. I'd find friends that actually accepted me instead of a sugar coated version of myself!

Answer by Glamourina at 5:26 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I wouldn't change who I was but I might tone it down (or up) just a little bit. If it was about my religion I wouldn't lie about what I believe but I wouldn't bring it up.

Answer by seturkey at 5:30 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• No. I am a mother who must set an example for my children. One of the most important "survival" lessons is self-esteem, and being comfortable with who you are and what you look like. As far as religious preferences, everyone is entitled to their own belief. I will teach my children to accept others as they are and not to judge. If they have no friends, it is because the other children's parents do not understand people who are different from them. They may feel left out, but will eventually find friends... :)

Answer by Grotezus at 5:33 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• This is kids took a lot of flack growing up because of who I am and what I believe 2 oldest grew up to be good people and are not afraid to be who they are...they are areas I caved, it did not help no, unless it was an extreme issue of safety, I would not....

Answer by Anna92464 at 6:45 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• What sort of lesson is that to teach your children? "If people don't like you, then it's okay to compromise yourself to win their acceptance?" What would they do with that lesson in other more serious areas of peer pressure?

Answer by beckcorc at 7:14 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• It really makes a difference as to what is different about the way you look and your beliefs. Is it one or is it the other.
    Are you dirty, slutty, Amish, Muslim, black, fat, Some of these I would try and change for my children others not. What is the problem with the way you look and your religion?`

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:22 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I would never because I'd want my child to grow up knowing that you should never judge by looks or things like that, but rather, to look past that and into the inside where the beauty generally lies within a person.

Answer by TeensMom07 at 7:36 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Nope. I have not and will not.

Answer by purpleducky at 8:32 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• No, I want my child to be proud of who he is and of his convictions, not teach him to hide or change it to gain acceptance.

How can I teach him to accept himself when I'm showing him to change things about himself to "fit in" with people?

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:11 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• No. Would they change their ways to fit in your world?

Answer by makelineerror at 10:37 AM on Oct. 17, 2010