What is group B strep??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 5:58 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• How does Group B Strep infection affect a newborn baby?

Babies may experience early or late-onset of GBS.

The signs and symptoms of early onset GBS include:

* Signs and symptoms occurring within hours of delivery
    * Breathing problems, heart and blood pressure instability
    * Gastrointestinal and kidney problems
    * Sepsis, pneumonia and meningitis are the most common complications

Newborns with early-onset are treated the same as the mothers, which is through intravenous antibiotics.

The signs and symptoms of late-onset GBS include:

* Signs and symptoms occurring within a week or a few months of delivery
    * Meningitis is the most common symptom
    * Late-onset GBS is not as common as early-onset
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 6:08 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Group B streptococcus (GBS) is a type of bacterial infection that can be found in a pregnant woman’s vagina or rectum. This bacteria is normally found in the vagina and/or lower intestine of 15% to 40% of all healthy, adult women.

Those women who test positive for GBS are said to be colonized. A mother can pass GBS to her baby during delivery. GBS is responsible for affecting about 1 in every 2,000 babies in the United States. Not every baby who is born to a mother who tests positive for GBS will become ill.

Although GBS is rare in pregnant women, the outcome can be severe, and therefore physicians include testing as a routine part of prenatal care.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 6:01 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• It's a vaginal bacteria that is present, at some times, in healthy vaginas. But, when present around the time of birth, health professionals become concerned about it possibly causing illness in the baby after it is born. In the states, many professionals recommend IV antibiotics to reduce the risk. IV antibiotics have their own risks, including allergic reactions and creating an imbalance of healthy flora in the child's body making them susceptible to illness and limiting the mother's movement during labor (possibly causing birth complications). In many countries, like the UK, there is no group B strep protocol and not all women, even in hospitals, have IV antibiotics, especially if their group b status is unknown. Each woman should do her own research and make her own decision if she is found to have group b strep in her vagina, especially because there are also natural remedies she can try...
    MarlaMomma

Answer by MarlaMomma at 6:03 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that all women who have risk factors PRIOR to being screened for GBS (for example, women who have preterm labor beginning prior to 37 completed weeks' gestation) are treated with IV antibiotics until their GBS status is established.

The bacteria that causes group B strep normally lives in the intestine, vagina, or rectal areas. Group B strep colonization is not a sexually transmitted disease (STD). Approximately 15-40% of all healthy women carry group B strep bacteria. For most women there are no symptoms of carrying the GBS bacteria.

The test involves a swab of both the vagina and the rectum. The sample is then taken to a lab where a culture is analyzed for any presence of GBS. Test results are usually available within 24 to 48 hours.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 6:05 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• http://groupbstrep-ivil.tripod.com/id20.html

Also, you can request to be re-tested as the birth becomes closer if you try some of the natural remedies. Sidenote: I tested positive, didn't have IV antibiotics, and my daughter never had an illness, she is now four. Not recommending any decision for you, just that you do your own research and make your own decision, regardless of protocol.
    MarlaMomma

Answer by MarlaMomma at 6:06 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Well I am not sure if I have it they just tested me last week so I should find out this week...I am just not sure what it is besides a infection of some kind. What are the symptoms and side affects and such???
    Thank you guys for your help
    LiLJeni

Comment by LiLJeni (original poster) at 6:07 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• What if I test positive for Group B Strep infection?

If you test positive for GBS this simply means that you are a carrier. Not every baby who is born to a mother who tests positive for GBS will become ill. Approximately one of every 100 to 200 babies whose mothers carry GBS will develop signs and symptoms of GBS disease. There are, however, symptoms that may indicate that you are at a higher risk of delivering a baby with GBS. These symptoms include:

* Labor or rupture of membrane before 37 weeks
    * Rupture of membrane 18 hours or more before delivery
    * Fever during labor
    * A urinary tract infection as a result of GBS during your pregnancy
    * A previous baby with GBS disease
    Glamourina

• I had group B strep, I was antibiotics, and my daughter did not have it when she was born. Though not for a second did I consider not getting antibiotics once I found out I had it. =). GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 6:11 AM on Oct. 17, 2010