Am I at high risk for breast cancer?

My grandmother died of breast cancer( well that's where it first started) she actally died of bone cancer. My doctor says that I'm not at high risk but my sister was told she was at high risk. She is 31 and her dr. has already having her get mamograms. My mom had brain cancer and died 2 years ago.

kidsmomof2

Asked by kidsmomof2 at 7:35 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Health

• In your case it might be a difference in doctor's opinion. You only have one case of breast cancer in the family, but that still constitutes family history. Then to have the addtional history of brain cancer in your mother...Have you considered being tested for the breast cancer gene? If you think you should be regarded with a higher risk, then request more testing. If your doctor doesn't comply, then find another one. There is no second-guessing when it comes to your health!
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 7:40 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Yes, you are a high risk patient.

My mom had breast cancer twice. At the first time she was only 29yrs old, then again at age 31.

I have to go to my first mamogram next month, because I am a high risk patient, just because of the fact that my mother had breast cancer - twice.

I'm 24, almost 25 yrs. old.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:59 AM on Oct. 28, 2008