My four yr old tells story's

she will say all kinds of things to get the other kids into trouble. luckily i know she just says these things, like the other day she spilled milk, i said r u going to help me clean this up? she says nope, i didn't do it Emily did. I seen her, I was standing right there...

kileighsmommie

Asked by kileighsmommie at 7:34 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• DD does the same thing. If she pees her pants, she will say the dog licked her....(couldn't help but laugh at that one). I think she is just has a very active imagination, so I don't punish her for it, but I do remind her that she always need to be honest.
    tonbookluvr

Answer by tonbookluvr at 7:51 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I would ask her questions about the spill and repeatedly ask her who did it. Usually she will give herself up and we will discuss why she did this and what is wrong about it. Most of all why it should not occur again.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:36 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• yeah my 4 year old makes up stuff all the time. She has told her daddy that i am mean to her and I beat her. She has told me that the babysitter didnt feed her anything the whole day when I know she ate. Or she will get mad bc I told her do something and she will go tell her daddy on but she will twist what i said so it makes it sound like i am being mean. For example the other night i told her to pick her toys up off the floor and she went and told her daddy that I was telling her to get on the floor. Or my husband asked to have me bring him something and I said in a minute she ran back in and told her daddy that I said no I wasn't gonna get it for him. She has a whole bunch of imaginary animals too.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 9:05 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Even though she's making up things and you know it, don't let her get away with thinking that it's ok to blame others! Important that she learn responsibility. Let her know that you saw her and she needs to clean up the milk. Talki to her about being honest. Give her praise when she is and she'll understand the positive attention. Be careful because you never know what she'll say and if it can really get someone in trouble. Bet to get it stopped as quickly as you can.
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 9:18 PM on Oct. 17, 2010