Legalizing Marijuana...why?

Why is this such a big deal? Aside from being arrested for having it and wanting to get high, what is the reason for wanting to have it legalized? I know that in some states your DR can write a Rx for it so what's the big deal with this?

Jessy0419

Asked by Jessy0419 at 7:52 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Lots of reasons to legalize ...
    1. Govt would be able to tax it.
    2. We wouldn't be letting murderers out of jail so that there is enough room for the drug users/dealers.
    3. It is safer than drinking. If we can smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol then there really is no reason why people shouldn't be able to smoke mj.
    I could go on. :)
    Debbie062008

Answer by Debbie062008 at 11:35 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I think most people argue that it is no worse than alcohol and has proven medical uses. I would have no problem with it being legalized. Now that I have a house full of children and an adult life I don't drink or smoke pot or anything anymore, but my first couple years out of high school I definitely did. I was still able to graduate college and hold a full time job, so I really don't see the big deal on whether or not it is legal.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:00 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• A lot of people see it as being as harmless as drinking alcohol on occasion. I don't use it nor do I have a desire to, but I also don't see a problem with it (besides it being illegal) as long as people are responsible when they use it, just like anything else. This means not driving or caring for children under the influence, and not doing it until you need a twelve step program to quit.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 8:02 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I think all drugs should be personally. I think it will cut down on crime a lot. People are going to do drugs anyway legal or not and if they choose to screw up their bodies and life then that's on them.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 8:02 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Most people are normal everyday people...

Make it legal..grow your own or be able to buy it without having to contact likely criminals...making things safer for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Some think it should be legalized because they don't see anything wrong with it. If you have cancer it helps with the pain and the side effects of going through chemo or radiation, I know in a lot of states a doctor can prescribe it but they make it very hard to get it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:12 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I never even tried that stuff, i only know how it smells, because my brother blew into my face when i came into his room once. Disgusting, no idea why someone actually would like to smoke that shit. lol...

medical uses, yeah i heard its suppose to help. Well then there is no reason to legalize it, if you can get it from the doctor, and only from the doctor.

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:15 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My mom has MS and legalizing marijuana in her state would allow her to have less painfull days.
    I am more like ROn Paul (as a conservative) and think that there are medicinal uses, and if in small quant. it can help, then there should be no issue. IT should be left to the states.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:17 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I don't use it and never understood the appeal, having tried it. As far as how I feel about it being legal, I can't help but wonder if it will open the gateway for other, more harmful things to be legalized. One has to wonder if it would lose it's appeal if it were more readily available and not considered "taboo" or illegal. As far as other drugs, I don't think they should be legalized b/c people under the influence of pot (in my experience) are generally well behaved and mellow where as people under the influence of stronger things (this is hear say) do crazy things.
    Jessy0419

Answer by Jessy0419 at 8:18 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Our state is voting on a measure that would reduce the penalties for adults carrying 1oz. or less of marijuana from a criminal penalty to a civil penalty. There's more to it than that but that's the basic jist of it.

I voted in favor of it. Marijuana has been shown to be an effective pain reliever and beneficial for various diseases, and for such a small amount, I don't think it's a huge deal.
    MammaMiaMA

Answer by MammaMiaMA at 8:24 AM on Oct. 28, 2008