Whats a good birthday present for an 8 year old genius? (almost genius anyway)

My daughter will be nine on saturday and all of her friends and other family are basically getting her what she has asked for but i want to give her something extra special. I have already made her a special pillow, but I need some suggestions other than toys and books and clothes to give her cause im totally drawing blank here. Her personality is fragile to say the least, she loves to pretend, read, draw and color, she is in baton and girlscouts, and strives to a fault for perfection so what kind of thing should i get her?

elananme

Asked by elananme at 7:57 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Some kids at that age,and i say this cause i have 3 nieces ,like to be creative . Have u ever thought about getting her a scrapbooking kit ?
    leahc

Answer by leahc at 8:03 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I know what you mean by genius. My Autistic son was studying the human anatomy at 3 years old. For his 5th birthday I found him a small, $35, take apart torso. At his birthday party he would carry it around, take it apart, and put it back together. You'd think I'd gotten him a bar of gold. LOL.

The trick is to know what she's interested in and go from there. If it's drawing, well...a simple "you can draw" book might be the thing. My son loves drawing to, so one year I'd gotten him a drawing book, pencils, drawingpad, and colored pencils. He will sit happily for hours on end drawing and using the techniques he's learned. He draws the circles and everything like they show. He's very accomplished.
    LisaAC

Answer by LisaAC at 8:59 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Oh yeah, instead of a drawing pad...a great source of drawing paper is a package of typing paper from Walmart which is fairly cheap for the good amount that you get. My son has a special place he keeps all his drawings.
    LisaAC

Answer by LisaAC at 9:02 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I'm having the same problem over Christmas...my daughter is light years ahead of her peers and I just don't know what to get her. She's bored by toys that are age appropriate, but I'm having a hard time find things she'll like. (she's 7)
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 10:35 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• maybe you can look into a pottery class or something like that you and her can do together and at the end of the class you both will have something to cherish forever.
    mom2gavahnyaand

Answer by mom2gavahnyaand at 10:44 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• After 3 kids and 9 grandkids I have learned the best thing I can give a child is my time. Find some time just for you and your dd. Do whatever she wants to do. Some want a walk in the park. Some want to pay a board game (yes the old time simple games!). Some want to kick a ball back and forth. Some want to read a book together or cook something as long as it's just the two of you. You will find that she'll remember that many years from now but might forget any other sort of gift.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:13 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• A rock tumbler. We got one last winter and it was beyond cool.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 12:02 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• if she's interested in electricity, Snap Circuits is an EXCELLENT toy.

and if that's not her thing, a GREAT resource for toys for smart kids is Fatbrain.com

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 5:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2008