Faith?

This question is for anyone, believers and non believers. I was raised christian wen to church studied the bible, all that jazz, I was even baptized at eighteen, but as i grew and my life took horible turns, i began to lose my faith and the straw that broke the camels back happened a few years ago and i am completely faithless now. So my question for those of you that have faith is if you have suffered great tragedies how did you not lose your faith? and for those of you that dont and did at one time, do you miss it or not? Why? and for those of you that never had it why didnt you and do wonder if your missing something?

elananme

Asked by elananme at 8:18 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was raised as a a Baptist, lost my faith through the years, but have since regained it as a Gnostic Christian. I have been through a lot of hardship in my life, and I had trouble finding meaning as a Baptist. There were things I was taught that just didn't feel right. However, when I was faithless, I did feel like I was missing something, so I started studying other religions, other Christian denominations. Once I started studying Gnosticism, I just felt at home with it.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 8:27 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I grew up pretty much that same way. I tried very hard to be a good "Catholic" girl. I thought I had a pretty close relationship with the God I had come to understand until I was in my early 20's. After many, many years of struggling with depression, it finally hit me head on after the birth of my first son. I was in a marriage that was not healthy in any way. I was just stuck in a life I really didn't want. One day when I was home alone I got very angry with this so-called god.

(cont...)
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 8:34 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• (cont...)

I remember screaming at Him and telling Him that if I didn't get some proof of His existence VERY SOON, I was going to give up on Him, myself, my life, etc. As you can guess I was definitely contemplating suicide and how I was going to accomplish it. Immediately after I finished my tirade I turned on the TV and my now favorite spiritual teacher was on and the first words spoken were "God loves you unconditionally". My life has been changed ever since.
    jenettyshome

• I, too am a Gnostic.
    jenettyshome

• I never had faith.  It was never something that made sense to me, it was always illogical and unbelievable.

No I don't think I'm missing out on anything.  In fact, religion is far too restrictive for me, I would rather live my life MY way and not according to rules that the bible and preachers want me too!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:38 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I was raised in a Christian home but I never believed in the stories any more than I did Santa Claus. That is to say when I was younger I did believe but as I got older it just didn't make any logical sense to me on a realistic scale. No great tragedy, no mean people turning me away from the belief. I just stopped believing, kind of like you stop believing in Santa Claus as you get older.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:54 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• go back to your bible read what it says about faith we all loose it. it is like thefootprints saying in the harded times in your life is when I carried you.
    madcat500

Answer by madcat500 at 9:14 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I was not raised with religion. My dad could never decide what he wanted to be. We moved a lot and went to a lot of different churches. I was very confused and angry most of my life. I have had a lot of hardships. I was angry at God for all of it and refused to go to church and go along with what the Bible says.
    My kids godparents talked to me a little about their church. I got curious and decided to go. I was scared to death at first. It was really hard for me to beleive that if God loved me he would put me through so much.
    liebimom3

Answer by liebimom3 at 9:28 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• (cont) I got more and more curious and kept going to this church. I came to realize that God was with me the whole time. Through it all. He didn't put me through everything to punish me. It taught me patience, love, responsibility, and a great acceptance of all people. I see now that everything that happened to me was to shape me into a good person. A lot of people in my place would have turned to drugs or something else. Kind of like a test of faith.
    liebimom3

• Everyone has lost faith at one time or another whether it be a teenage fall out because you just dont want to be different or something tragic happening in your life that pulls at your heart and makes you think that God doesnt love you.The fact that you are even asking this question shows that there is something inside you that is pushing you back toward God.
    Almost two years ago my husband and I lost our first son he had a blood infection that his dr's didnt catch and he became septic and his heart and lungs gave out. We spent two weeks in a Picu praying for a miracle. Some people tell us we never got our miracle because we lost him, but I say we did. Our baby is now an angel he is out of all pain. Yes I wish that we still had him but I know that there is a reason for it. I personally cannot see how someone can go through something like this and not have faith.
    Nicsone

Answer by Nicsone at 9:29 AM on Oct. 28, 2008