How old was your kid (or you, yourself) when they learned to swim?

I was 7 years old and I never took any lessons. DS is 6 and he is swimming like a fish most of the time but sometimes he will panic if he finds out he can't touch bottom. DD can hold her breath underwater and kinda swim, but I still put her in a lifejacket. I think I will put them both in a swimming class just to teach the basics. BTW, my BIL is 32, in the Army also and grew up in Florida and he can't swim!!!

tonbookluvr

Asked by tonbookluvr at 8:03 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was 4 when I first took formal lessons (Red Cross Beginner and Advanced Beginners.) My daughter out dog paddling and basic underwater swimming last summer, at 3. She's getting lessons next summer, because I want her to be able to tread, take breaths while swimming, and have efficient form.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:24 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I was 7. My kids were 4, 4, 4 and 4. My grandkids were 6, 5, 4, 2 and 3.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:14 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I think I was 5, and my son was 4 when he started his swim lessons. He's six now and he's graduated out of all the lessons for his age group... we have to wait until he's older for him to continue. Which is kind of dumb.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 8:53 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My kids were 6 or 7. I have never learned to swim.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I was about 5 1/2 when I learned.  My kids were 7, 6 and 6 when they learned.  But we had a swimming pool in our backyard so they spent most of their summer in the pool.

They wore floaties on their arms until they could touch the bottom and then they went in without.  At some point they figured out how to swim.  It's exactly how I figured it out.  I wasn't sure how well they would do in water where they couldn't touch but this summer all 3 went to a public pool and were jumping off the deep end (my son even went off the diving board) and all were swimming just fine in 12' of water.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I do not know how to swim. I think we are going to enroll my son in a swim class so he can learn though.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:57 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I taught myself to swim when I was 12. I'm not great at it, but I can do it. Neither of my kids know how to swim; my son is 3 1/2 years and my daughter is 4 months.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:36 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Very young for all of us. I grew up with a pool and we have one now.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:25 PM on Oct. 17, 2010