What do you think you're accomplishing by standing outside an abortion clinic and protesting?

I just read a journal from woman who is proud that she protested outside an abortion clinic and is planning on doing it again. I just don't understand what people like that think they are accomplishing other than making THEMSELVES feel better.

Wouldn't your time be better spent out there doing something to fix the issues that lead to abortion in the first place- things such as abuse, drug & alcohol addiction, poor parenting, lack of education, unemployment, poverty and so on?

Standing there holding a sign stating how wrong you think it is and making other women feel like shite is not accomplishing anything- regardless of what you think...

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:11 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• When I was in college, I had an abortion. I had to cross a picket line. Thankfully, I had friends who escorted me. It was scary. The scariest thing was the look of anger and hatred on the faces of those picketing. They had no idea why I was there. They didn't know the circumstances behind my unwanted pregnancy. They knew nothing about me. They were scary, ugly people.

You believe that abortion is taking a life?  Had you prevented me from aborting that pregnancy back then, you would have effectively ended two lives.  I would have killed myself.  I was that desperate.  You aren't helping anyone by picketing, except your own sense of self-righteousness.

Anonymous

• I'm pretty sure they get a feeling of superiority by making someone's very, very bad day even worse. Plus they get to scare some women away from other services, like getting affordable birth control, thereby increasing the chances that they'll get to scream "babykiller" at them again in a few months when they come to terminate the pregnancy that may have been prevented if they'd gotten into the clinic for some birth control counseling.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:20 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I will add though that when I changed my mind on an abortion many years ago it wasn't because of protesters outside the building it was because a nurse indiscreetly allowed me to notice the ultrasound screen..

I have no regrets for my decision to allow my child to continue to delvelop..he is a great kid ;)
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:33 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Oh, I agree - their time and energy would be better used in other ways when it comes to this. By the time someone is at the abortion clinic its obviously already too late. We need to be more proactive - the problem is unwanted pregnancy, so shouldn't we be focusing on that? Shouldn't we try to help people not get pregnant in the first place, for example? Perhaps by educating them, giving them the tools they need to be responsible? Or even the issues you mentioned that help lead to the situation as well. If we focus our efforts on other issues that lead to unwanted pregnancy and abortion we might actually make some headway.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:09 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I totally agree with you OP. People who really care about others give help and assistance, not stand back and JUDGE.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 8:22 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Op maybe alot of them do do some of those other things as well..we don't know

I guess they protest like that thinking that even one changed mind is one baby saved :shrug: and you could be correct that some of them do it just to make themselves good.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:33 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• feel good*
    tnmomofive

• Getting brownie points with God?
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 8:54 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• It just looks lke a radical,self-satisfied woman is standing there holding a sign. She is not telling anyone anything new.
    I believe in PREVENTION...education,birth control and parental responsibility.
    Protesting is just a waste of time. Its like sounding a warning siren AFTER the tornado has swept through town.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:21 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I really don't know, and have often thought about that when passing by ANY picket line! By my super Catholic, 77 year old MIL who attends abortion protests regularly (including the annual DC march in January), says "if she is able to change the mind of one woman from having an abortion, then she has been successful."

But my MIL also volunteers in women's shelters, food banks, and several other charities, I guess that gives her the "right." Eventhough I disagree with protests.

I guess one could say that by protesting, they are "bringing awareness" to the issue?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:45 AM on Oct. 17, 2010