When did you start giving your infant water?

I am planning to ask the Pediatrician this question on our next visit. Just wondering when did other Moms start giving their babies water. I see there's nursery water out there. Currently my daughter drinks her milk and juice. Dr. suggested giving her some prune juice a while back when she was a little constipated. I continue to give it to her every now and then to help keep her regular, just wondering about the water now.

MiKisMom308

Asked by MiKisMom308 at 8:22 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• a little bit of water now and then is ok i have given my son it to clean the roof of his mouth
    juliansmommie23

Answer by juliansmommie23 at 9:04 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I didn't give my kids water til they were about 10-11 months.
    liebimom3

Answer by liebimom3 at 9:11 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My doctor said there is no need for water until a year old, because they get plenty of water in formula and breast milk.

But if she is pretty close to a year old I don't think water now and then will hurt her.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 9:12 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i started giving my son water when he started eating table foods (about 8 or 9 months). I didn't want to give him juice with every meal- but thought he would want something to sip on. Also, I always have a sippy cup of water available for him to grab throughout the day- just in case he gets thirsty from all of his zipping around.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:00 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• the pediatrician my son sees said it was fine to start at 5 months.. but that he doesn't need more than 4 ounces of it daily.
    lmybo

Answer by lmybo at 10:11 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• You really don't need to give them any water for hydration purposes at all until about a year and off formula. I started giving water to my DD at 7 months so she could learn to use a cup. Juice really has no nutrition for baby so I give her water. She only takes a few sips of it while she's eating. It's just for practice right now.
    briezysmommy

Answer by briezysmommy at 10:14 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Yup this is what I did with both of my kids. My doctor said there is no need for water until a year old, because they get plenty of water in formula and breast milk.

norbert

Answer by norbert at 10:14 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Breastmilk has 100% of the hydration an infant will need until 12 months old. The only children who need any water are children who are given formula which contains substandard nutrition and hydration.
    LizzieyTish

Answer by LizzieyTish at 10:25 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I gave my son water at 5 months. I would just let him have a few sips. He is 8 months old and still does not get much water. Just a few drinks every once in a while, mostly when it was hot outside and we were outside or in the car without air conditioning.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 10:50 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Water is OK especially on a really hot day and when you start table foods, because they get enough sodium. If you give your child too much water they can drown with fluid overload, because their body won't have enough sodium. Ask your doctor how much is too much. Water is still good but you can drink too much of it. The reason athletes drink Gatorade is because they sweat alot and the sweat has salt, so not only are athletes loosing Sodium they are loosing water, gatorade has the electroytes. Too much water will dilute the sodium in the body and cause Hyponatremia. Ask yiour doc what is too much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Oct. 28, 2008