What do you think of this statement?

The Bible clearly states that although women can and do play very important roles within the church community, God clearly commands a woman cannot be ordained a minister.
This was a statement left for me in one of my posts, what do you think?

Asked by older at 8:21 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Religious Debate

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • It is hard for me to take the Epistles as Gospel. The Epistles (like you mention - Timothy and Paul) are much more subjective than the Gospels, and affected by the quirks of the community to whom they were written, etc.

Possibly at the time these were written, the way women were raised did cause them to be more dim-witted (not getting synagogue instruction, for instance) ... but it is quite visible that Christ Himself and the Apostles around Him were inclusive about women.

But whatever the possible justification back at that time, it really is not true that women have less ability to be leaders today.

I get impatient with blockheads who declare that we must adhere to the Bible in every way - if that were true, then we could not use telephones or dental floss because THOSE are not to be found in the Bible.

As to sexual urges in men - Islam and your pastor are punishing women and ignoring all the OTHER "urges". Grow up!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:28 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• During Bible study one time, I had the Pastor tell me that he'd rather have a homeless non-religious man off the street teach Sunday School to adult men instead of a female member of the church. I was appalled and said so and never attended another one of his female bashing bible studies ever again. He said the reason was because of what Paul said as well as the fact that a man would be looking at the woman's body and thinking sexual thoughts instead of listening to the word of God- in other words... woman are to be punished and oppressed because men can't control their perverted thoughts or their dicks.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:22 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I Timothy lists the qualifications of a Pastor and it clearly says "The husband of one wife". Please explain, how a woman can be the husband of one wife. Even if the woman were a lesbian and married to one wife, she would not be a husband.

Women can minister, and women can discuss and know scripture, but a woman cannot biblically be a leader of a church. THAT is clear in scripture. If you believe the Bible.

Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 2:36 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• “A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent” (1 Timothy 2:11-12). In the church, God assigns different roles to men and women. This is a result of the way mankind was created and the way in which sin entered the world (1 Timothy 2:13-14). God, through the apostle Paul, restricts women from serving in roles of teaching and/or having spiritual authority over men. This precludes women from serving as pastors, which definitely includes preaching to, teaching, and having spiritual authority over men.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:18 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• older... I kind of do agree with him. I think are ruled by their sexual urges and that woman have and are being treated like crap because of those shortcomings and lack of willpower- especially in Islam. They say it's to protect the women, but in reality that protection is punishment.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:31 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• IhartU - Thanks for the verse but you know me, I don't take Paul's word, lol.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:47 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• God doesn't clearly demand that. The bible does. The bible was written by man, not god.
    circle_of_life

Answer by circle_of_life at 11:09 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Yes,the Bible does clearly state that, and anyone who knows me, knows I trust what the Bible says 100%. God wrote it through inspired men,and that's good enough for me. That being said, God also greatly values women,and proves it. It was women who ultimately, along with the Apostle John, accompanied Jesus all the way to His death, and stayed till it was over. God makes this very clear in His Word. It was also women who went to Jesus' tomb on the 3rd day, and found it empty, just as Jesus had promised, and went and told His Disciples. It was a woman (Mary Magdalene, one of Jesus' most faithful followers NOT His wife, nowhere in the Bible does it say that),that Jesus appeared to first. So, even though we aren't meant to hold positions of power in the church,which I have no problem with, we are very valuable, and important, and God makes sure we know that.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 2:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Older, you know I love and respect you,but I will answer your question. No, I don't think God's Word needs updating one bit. Just because all these things have become acceptable and mainstream doesn't make them right, or acceptable to God. His Word is timeless,and is as relevant today as it was when He inspired Apostles, Disciples, and Prophets to write it all those years ago. Nothing about it is outdated, nothing about is wrong. It does not contradict itself in any way. It is timeless, ageless, just like God Himself is.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 3:46 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I have heard this before. I have yet to read anything stating that women cannot be ministers of God.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:36 AM on Oct. 17, 2010