does your child get an allowance?

stargazer74

Asked by stargazer74 at 8:23 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yes, he is a working member of the family. We have a structure set up that as a member of the family he is to do certain things around the house and yard. We also use the allowance to teach him about finances, spending and saving. He also has to sit down with us at the beginning of the month when he gets paid and show how is going to allot his money into spending, saving for long term and saving for short term.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Before she got her job (she's now 17), her allowance would consist of... "if you help me & do your chores, I will help you in giving you money for the movies or whatever." I never outright gave her cash, but rather, allowed her fun time after she did what was required of her. If she didn't do her chores, there was no going out with friends.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 8:25 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Yes, my 6 year old earns $5 a week by doing extra chores around the house. He's been saving up and yesterday he finally bought a big Lego set he's been eyeing for the past 3 months.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 8:48 AM on Oct. 17, 2010