Do you ever sometimes feel like...

having a life ended once you had kids? Not that you don't love them, just that you lost alot of that freedom and things you want to do but can't now (not as easily anyway)?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 8:34 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I definitely feel like that. It's a cliche but it's true. "Life, as you know it, is over." On the upside, a new life begins and it definitely has a lot of great things going on. It's just hard to let go of the ease and convenience that our previous lives had. Not that they were all that easy, but compared to having kids, I wish I appreciated how easy my life was!
    jacksmom1225

Answer by jacksmom1225 at 8:49 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• You do loose some freedom but the payoff is priceless!

Answer by older at 8:40 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• OP, you will be able to do just that when your job is finished. I understand you, been there done that, but it all goes full circle once they have grown and do not depend on you as much.

Answer by older at 8:49 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• No, I don't -- life is just different now. Every once in a great while I'll take a mental health day from work and just do stuff I want to do while the kids are in daycare. Although I've never been one to just spontenously drop whatever I'm doing and do something "fun," I've always been a planner.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 8:50 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I didn't feel that I was missing a thing. And my DH and I were able to go on "dates". We traveled. Etc. I was never one who wanted to hang out with my girl friends or hit the bars or party,etc. and I LOVED being a MOM.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:37 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I never felt that way, until my last two were born...my others were older then. But now they are 4 and 5 and things are getting better.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:14 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• nope. I stil have a wonderful social life & do the things I enjoyed before. I may not do them as often but truth be told, I find spending time with my family much more satisfying.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 12:11 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• oh yes , I love my kids, i do miss how easy it was for me to get up clean up and leave.. i miss going out, and no one calling, i miss alot , but mostly i think . one day they will have there own lifes, then i will be missing them just as they are today......
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 12:18 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I agree, but once in awhile I long for those days of less responsibility and to be able to just take off on a whim and do something fun with my DH (my then bf).
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 8:47 AM on Oct. 17, 2010