Why???

Doesn't the religious person realize the Bible is very outdated according to our times now? Do you think Jesus wanted everyone to freeze in time?

Asked by older at 8:54 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Religious Debate

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Ok, Older, obviously, we are never going to see eye to eye. So, with that, my dear friend, I'm going to propose that we agree to disagree, and move on. You have your opinions, I have mine, we are both very strong-minded, strong-willed women, and that's why we can't see the other's side. Have a great evening, sweetie, and I will talk to you tomorrow.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 7:03 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Actually not. God says His Word stands, that He changes not. He is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. He would not have His Word established for all time. And catholics are not the only faith who abide by it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• God never changes, so why should His Word? The basic principles in the Bible apply to life even now. Just because we live in a modern world, doesn't mean the things the Bible teaches should be discarded. Basic morality and love of God doesn't change.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 2:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Well, thats what you believe. Not everyone shares that. They have faith and believe in God's word, you don't. No biggie. What are you trying to get out of this?
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 9:33 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• The Bible offers a kind of road map about how spiritual laws work - cultivate this or that virtue and the result will be "A", overcome this or that character flaw and the result will be "B"

Many of the STORIES / histories in the Bible offer lessons about how things worked out when people took certain directions.

I agree that some people nowadays adhere to the Bible overzealously, creating a kind of utterly materialistic "Christianity" which excludes Christ because it rejects the idea of a spiritual reality surrounding us. The words printed in the Bible are held up for worship more than the Being of Christ Who is present and waiting for each of us to develop spiritual perception.

Just like a fragrance which is unnoticed by someone with no sense of smell, Christ can be seen/heard when we develop ourselves by following the path of virtue which awakens an additional "sight", another "hearing".
    One such path is Anthroposophy.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:44 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I believe it is not outdated. People have the same common problems and questions over the centuries. Cheating, marriage, child rearing, manners, dealing with a loss, how did we get here, why is the world not peaceful-things like that. I would not discredit it so easily.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 12:26 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• God wouldn't write an outdatted manual for us to try and follow. 2 Timothy 3: 16 says that " all scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for diciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.
    dgall3

Answer by dgall3 at 2:04 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Why don't the people who don't believe in G-d realize that they really have no wisdom or knowledge to determine what laws are "outdated" and which are "current"?

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I don't understand why you want anyone else to believe as you do.
    Why would or should anyone believe the Bible to be dated? You date yourself to be outdated by calling yourself Older.
    God is timeless, it's your choice to not believe, and not your place to judge those who do.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:34 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• "cute momto, the expiration is when people who follow stop abiding by their ever rule, including eating certain food, gluttony, etc!!!! and do not see the reason to consider any of it sin."

Just because they rationalize it so they don't consider it a sin, it doesn't mean that it's not. I still fail to see where in the OT there's a clause that these laws will become obsolete by the time a person decides that they are. Your view is like my 4 year old coming to me and "deciding" upon himself that MY law of not crossing the street is obsolete. You see it's very logical, I placed that law when we lived in a bigger street, higher risk of getting run over. I probably didn't foresee that at a later time we would be living in a smaller, safer street, so he can now decide for himself that my law is outdated and he can cross the street for himself!

Continued...
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2010