Human characteristics in a god?

Do you think we and those that wrote the bible gave too many characteristics to god? I am not saying he doesn't exist but maybe he doesn't work in the way we would think and those thought back in the day. I mean think about it....if we didn't have the technology we have today..how would a lot of the people view Katrina or other issues in the world?

When we pray for someone are we seeing that the prayers won't work unless that person is willing because god can't change his or her mind like if someone has an addiction or is abusive? Just curious plus it is my last question to ask lol

JuJubean1979

Asked by JuJubean1979 at 9:11 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Your right, God can't change minds. He gave us the gift of choice. All you can do is pray that God will guide that person to the right to get help and that God will help them to open their heart and mind to the option.
    Since God molded man in his own image I believe God must have very human characteristics.
    I see every natural disaster as an act of God I just don't always know why he did what he did.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Even with our technology, some people still believe that Katrina was brought about by the wrath of god. Those people decided that since they have a problem with gays, so must their god, and their god was so angry that there were gays in New Orleans that he had to smite them with a hurricane--no matter how many "innocent" people were hurt or killed in the process. Of course, this is people assigning their own prejudices to their god--as you suggested, giving their deity human characteristics.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:37 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• good point but I don't think all disasters are an act of god
    JuJubean1979

Comment by JuJubean1979 (original poster) at 9:41 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I agree - I believe He is above such petty characteristics like those attributed to Him - wrath, jealousy - those don't sound very godly or even very compassionate. I believe Him to be better than that, better than what people attribute to Him.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:03 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• It makes me think of that quote that says you know you must have "invented" God when he hates all the same people you do....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:04 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• lol bandgeek I love that quote haha! It kind of hit me today and I realized something. Maybe god/goddess put it in my heart?
    JuJubean1979

Comment by JuJubean1979 (original poster) at 10:14 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• addiction is a disease of the brain.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 10:25 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I agree. God is above our human characteristics. Ultimately, we are too. We have just forgotten WHO WE REALLY ARE. God is DEFINITELY NOT an angry or jealous God.
    circle_of_life

Answer by circle_of_life at 11:03 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I completely disagree! I believe the Gods have very pure emotions, more so than humans, but still similar to those we have. The emotions of the Gods are shown purely through nature - We see them all the time. Those who have a personal relationship with the Gods know first hand how their emotions exist and that they are very "human like." Emotions are nature, nature is divine, the Divine is full of Emotion.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:42 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• You make a good point too Sabrina. I never viewed it that way. Awesome thinking lady :)
    JuJubean1979

Comment by JuJubean1979 (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Oct. 17, 2010