what is the best type of cat to get if you have children?

I've never really had cats, but most apartments around here don't allow dogs and I want my daughter to have a pet. I know with dogs there are certain breeds that are more sociable and better with children. Is it the same with cats? and if so what are the better breeds?

BigfordBrat

Asked by BigfordBrat at 9:37 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Pets

• Well, cats are kind of hit or miss. Ragdolls are supposed to be the 'best' but htey are WAY expensive. Any old cat will do if you know how to pick. Male cats are typically more social. I my experience Orange tabby's seem to be the best personalities. When picking a kitten you want the one that not only lets you pick it up but also allows you to turn it on it's back without biting even play biting. YOu want it to relax and enjoy the attention for the most part. All kittens will want to play some!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:40 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Just get a regular Domestic short/long hair or are you looking for a purebred? If so go on the Animal Planet website and look up Cats 101 great show tells you about personality,health issues,etc. Good Luck!
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:42 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• We have devon rex. Very little shedding. No allergic reaction, and very tame with kids.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• we have a black kitten and she's the most loveable thing there ever was!
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 10:19 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Funny you should ask, my son just brought home 3 kittens he found in the road. We have 1 left that is black, gray & white. It's 8 wks old, and is very affectionate. We cant keep it b/c of our dogs. If you live in NW OH, I'd be glad to meet w/ you do deliver it. Just think what a great gift it would be! :) LOL- no pressure :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• lol Thanks for the offer mrsmom110 but I live in Texas. BUT maybe someone else will read the question in your area that does want it.
    BigfordBrat

Comment by BigfordBrat (original poster) at 11:04 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I have only ever had one purebred cat and she came from a shelter like most of the cats I have adopted over the years. Dianna was a great cat , bit of a snob but had a great personality. When you go looking for a cat you might look for either an adolescent or youg adult cat because their personalities are already esablished so you will know what you are getting. Look for a cat that is friendly and laid back.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I wouldn't get a specific breed; both of my cats are "mutts" and they are great with kids.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:36 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• A neutered male cat is the best kind of cat to get with children. Not a kitten, but not old either, say about 2 years old so that he's young enough to play. Female cats are *itchy, even when they are fixed. Males are big babies.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:13 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• tabbys are loveable by nature my tabby loves everyone
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 11:55 AM on Oct. 19, 2010