Pagan Moms - Tooth Fairy?

I'm wondering what you all do when your child starts losing their baby teeth to make room for their adult teeth. Do you keep them for a coming of age ritual later in life?

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 9:37 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• What about saving the teeth to use in a coming of age ritual after they lose the last one?

I'm not raising my children Pagan, or with any other religious affiliation, so I don't do rituals with them. So, no, I won't be doing that. But it's always been tradition in our family to keep the teeth... I still have all my baby teeth, my sister has hers. But with a Christian father, rituals of any kind are out of the question until they are old enough to decide what path they want to walk...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:07 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• We just do the basic tooth fairy...comes at night while they sleep and leaves a quarter or whatever amount you want.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• We do not promote any of the fairy tell creatures from when we were kids. This is simply because 1 of our children is Autistic, and he has a very hard time dealing with real and fantasy. We just tell them that when they lose teeth, it's a sign of growing up. We do give $1.00 for each tooth, which is put in their bank and saved for "spending days".
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:05 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My dd's are not that old yet. I did not grow up with the tooth fairy. My parents were strict Christians and didn't do many of the nonsensical traditions like the tooth fairy, Easter bunny or Santa. My dh's family did do the tooth fairy, ect. I'm not sure which way I'm going to go.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 1:21 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I plan on getting a nice pewter box for DS when he starts loosing his teeth.. I actually found one that looks like a wolf that I really like. I will save them for him and we will decide together when he is older what he would like to do with them. I plan on doing all of the childhood fairy tale creatures for him because we want him to have an extremely normal childhood... we figure he will feel out of place enough having a witch and an agnostic as parents.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 1:35 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

_Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 1:44 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I don't involve my son in any ritual or ceremony. I'll answer questions, but that is his choice to make when he is old enough to make an informed decision based on his own feelings, free of any need to please me, consciously or unconsciously.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:34 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• To answer your question about making them part of rituals and such...no, we dont.

Our boys dont participate in our rituals and such. They are too young to really understand whats going on and we want them to choose their paths. If they ask to participate and are old enough to understand whats going on and all that then they will be allowed but until then...no.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:03 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• We don't do the Tooth Fairy, just like we don't do the Easter Bunny or Santa. We believe in leading by example, and since we teach our children never to lie unless it's life or death, we feel to tell them something which isn't true simply because it's fun, isn't setting the example we want for them to follow.

I grew up in a house where these things were big no-nos. And my DH was the youngest of 9, so there was no way they were going to let him believe in those kind of things. Neither one of us ever felt we were "missing" something.

In addition, I have a friend who's daughter actually had panic attacks because she was terrified of the idea that a stranger was going to come in her room at night to steal her teeth... She was 6. I really see nothing fun or "coming of age" in that.

We simply give our kids $5 per tooth and $20 for the last one...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:34 AM on Oct. 17, 2010