Anything special you have to do to cars in the northern states during the winter?

I'm traveling north in a few days and I just needed to know if there was anything special i needed to do to my car.

BigfordBrat

Asked by BigfordBrat at 9:40 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Travel

• Are you moving north or are you just travelling north? I'm in Canada and while it's cool here, it's not cold yet, so your car would be fine. If you are moving north (depending on how far north) you'll want to be sure your antifreeze is topped up in your radiator, you should use 10w30 oil and you should have a block heater installed (if you don't already have one) and make sure the cord is accessible. A block heater is attached to the block of your engine and you plug it in to keep the engine and fluids from freezing. You really only need to plug in if it gets below -20 to -25 or colder. Also you may want to get studded tires or at least snow tires, though the studded tires might be a better option it you are not used to driving on snow and ice. And of course an emergency kit is a good idea. And yes, when it's really cold, let your car warm up for while.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Make sure that your antifreeze can handle very cold temps! Make sure your tires are good, and can handle snow, if you come across this (which you shouldn't now, unless you're staying till winter). That's about all I can think of. Putting windshield washer fluid in that can handle negative temps is probably a good idea too.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 9:49 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• How far north are you going? I live in MN and we're still having 70 degree temps here. But if you have questions about your vehicle, take it to a local mechanic and tell them you want to winterize it, they'll be able to tell you everything you need and make sure your fluids are good for winter.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:56 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Change your oil a different grade...either 10w/30 or 10w/40. sorry I forgot ask they guy at the store or place having it changed.. Make sure you have all weather tires. Anti-freeze. Get an ice scraper and windshield wiper fluid with the deicer in it. Get a blanket for your trunk. If you are going when there will be snow we used to put a bag of sand in the trunk..(but that was when cars were all rear wheel drive) and a shovel.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:59 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• well as of the moment there is no snow (I live in ny) so nothing too drastic. But if there is then you need to start your car and let it warm up, have good antifreeze, and good snow tires
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:01 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I'm just going to northern Indiana for about a week, but being that I live in Texas I wanted to make sure my car would be ok for the trip.
    BigfordBrat

Comment by BigfordBrat (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• You won't need to do anything just for a trip like that this time of year.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• ok..Thanks everybody for your help. I appreciate it :)
    BigfordBrat

Comment by BigfordBrat (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Oct. 17, 2010