Well, I did it & it wasnt a bad as I thought it would be!

This is a follow up to my post yesterday, when I was told unanimously by the other moms to tell my 8 y/o the truth about our monthly cycle, rather than her listening to what a classmate told her. It wasnt as bad as I'd feared it would be. It's just scary b/c I still think of her as my little girl. She is still so sweet, naive & innocent & I wanted to keep her that way as long as possible! I'm sure you can appreciate that.

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 10:03 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I understand. It's very hard to realize sometimes that your child is growing up. So often parents have a difficult time realizing that they are as mature as they are! I'm glad that the talk was a good one! With the children that I work with, I see children knowing more at younger ages! When a child doesn't know what's going on with their body, they actually feel "left out and embarrassed." The other girls mention things and they don't know. You can't go back and change things by being a little more open when she was younger because those years are over. What you do is start fresh and keep your conversation as open as you possibly can. It may be a fight within yourself because talking about the body or sex is difficult for some people! But just know that if you child doesn't feel that she can come to you, you are closing off communication. Teen years are just around the corner, some of the innocence is over!!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 9:14 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I agree...it isnt something "bad" and she is just about the right age to be informed. I was about that age and my Mom told me it was wonderful because it meant that when I was grown up and married, I would be able to be pregnant and give birth to my own children. And that men couldn't --so we were lucky! :-) I thought it was pretty exciting!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:35 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• LOL! Other than traumatizing the poor child because, unfortunately, this is a normal process! (Just kidding, I just remember crying when I started mine)!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:33 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Wow, I'm surprised that no one could feel my pain as the mom of a little girl who is growing up way too fast (w/ a big push in that direction thanks to some kids at school) Next it'll be Santa, and thus the childlike innocence starts giving way to the oh so wonderful tweens & adolescent years! I just wanted a little more time before I had to deal w/ such grown up subjects- that's all.
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• i am confused as to why explaining a natural part of life as a female grows up is something that affects your daughter being sweet, naive and innocent. *scratches head*
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 10:21 AM on Oct. 17, 2010