Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Daycare (doesnt seem very healthy imo)

Everyday that i pick my 8month old son Mason up from day care, all i smell is bleach to the point it makes my eyes water. I definitely dont think this is safe for a child to be breathing in especially an 8 month old. I'm thinking of putting him in a different day care, for this reason..does that seem healthy to you or am i over exagerating?

Answer Question
 
MasonsMommyy

Asked by MasonsMommyy at 10:13 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 11 (539 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • I wouldn't like my baby breathing in chlorine either. You aren't over-exaggerating.
    Bmat

    Answer by Bmat at 10:15 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

  • Nope... If you can smell it that strongly, it's too much. Why do they need to use so much anyway? What is the smell of bleach masking? Granted, kids get dirty. But my house doesn't smell like bleach!
    Reenieredhead

    Answer by Reenieredhead at 10:36 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

  • Before you jump off the deep end, please get more information. Why does it smell like bleach? Are they cleaning with bleach? I use bleach like crazy. I don't notice the smell at all, unless it's in the bathroom, because it's so small, but my kids complain about it. Just ask them how they are using it, is it diluted? Ask other moms if they notice it too.
    m-avi

    Answer by m-avi at 10:37 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

  • I would be doing the same thing. Its ok to ask why and where they are using it, and why so much? If you are not satisified with the answers then get him out of there. Best of luck!!
    kiansmom0423

    Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

  • Mention your concerns to your child's teacher and the director. I know in the daycares I worked in, it was a requirement for licensing that we used diluted bleach to clean the changing tables. BUT that being said, there was also a procedure we had to follow before we put another child on the changing table. Spray, let sit a minute or 2, wipe, LET DRY COMPLETELY, then we could put the next child up there to change. I know a lot of daycares also disinfect toys with diluted bleach. But again, you're supposed to make sure the toys are completely dry before putting them back out to play with. If you're smelling it that strong, they may not be diluting properly. Or, maybe your nose is just ultra sensitive? In any case, definitely talk to the director before you go pulling him out. She may be able to offer you a perfectly good reason, or you may alert her to the fact that the teachers in that room are using the bleach wrong.
    Eviesmommy

    Answer by Eviesmommy at 11:11 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

  • EVERY day care in my state is REQUIRED to clean with bleach, including toys, highchairs, counters, floors, changing tables, etc and yes you can smell the bleach. So, before you switch day cares, you need to find out what the state laws are about cleaning.
    tyfry7496

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:12 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

  • In CT State law requires all of the above to be cleaned with a diluted bleach solution. The only time I find it acceptable to smell bleach is if I am there when the cleaning people are cleaning the bathrooms. You are absolutely right that chlorine fumes are not good for anyone. I'll find you some research if you want "scientific information".
    kjrn79

    Answer by kjrn79 at 11:54 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

  • maybe talk to them about it first, if that doesn't seem to help then deff. change daycare.
    iluvmymomasboys

    Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 12:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

  • Daycares are required to clean with bleach. Your provider may be using a solution that isn't diluted enough, or you may just be sensitive to it because you don't use it. Ask your provider about the practices that are used in that classroom. They are usually more than willing to put a parent's mind at ease.
    rhianna1708

    Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:00 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

  • No its not safe for children or anyone in that matter to inhale all those fumes. Maybe befor you move your child you could suggest them using the clorox Green, its safe and doesnt hardly have a smell at all. Im a preK teacher and thats what I use in my class. But just being a teacher I would also suggest havin a spray can of lysol to sanitize your shoes and diaper bags before putting them in your home or car.
    adyssonsmommy

    Answer by adyssonsmommy at 3:23 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.