Not sure what to do

I have a three bedroom house. My husband and I have a bedroom, my sister in law has her bedroom and my one year old daughter has her bedroom. I am having another baby (not sure of the gender). I am wondering where I am going to put this other baby. I will never make the mistake of having my child sleep in the same room with me again (it caused too many issues). I am not sure if it is fair to have my daughter share a bedroom with a newborn either regardless of the gender of the other baby. She needs her sleep too. Do you think it is fair? What if the baby is a boy, do you think it is right for a boy and a girl to share a bedroom? Do you think it is right for any child to share a bedroom? My husband should be stationed at another base in about a year, so I need to figure out how many bedrooms I should get for the next house too (thankfully my sister in law will not be living with us then).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• It is not going to be fair to sibling if she will be awaken every three hours for feedings, but otherwise it would be ok for them to share a room until they get older.

Answer by older at 10:17 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I always kept my kids in the room w/ me until they were about a year old. But since you dont want to do that, I think w/a baby monitor, you could get to the baby before it woke up your dau. It could be in her room for the 1st year (until you move). If the baby does interfere w/ your dau's sleep, then it may be time for the SIL to find her own place. She will have to do that soon anyway. Good luck
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:19 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• have sil move out before baby is born
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 10:31 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• if your siser in law isnt living with you when you get your next house, then just get an other 3 bedroom house and each child can have their own room
    MasonsMommyy

Answer by MasonsMommyy at 10:16 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Is there another room that can be used as a bedroom that generally isn't? Can u make ur daughters room into 2 tiny ones or because its military housing is this not possible? Its not fair to your daughter. Yes the can share a room but if they r diff sexes they muist be split up by a certain age. Not sure which.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• We have a 3 bedroom house and 5 kids.  There is nothing wrong with kids sharing rooms.  Our 3 girls have one (they are 10, 8 and 4) and will always have to share a room.  My son is 9 and has his own room for now.  Our youngest son is 3 months and sleeps in our room in his own bed and will for a couple more months.  He's already sleeping through the night but doesn't have a crib yet.  When we get a crib we'll probably put him in with his brother.  They will most likely have to share forever, too.  I doubt we can ever afford more than 3, possibly 4, bedrooms.

My older son and middle daughter shared a room the first 2 years of her life.  Then all 3 of the older kids shared a room for 3 years until we moved this summer.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:50 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I dont think there is anything wrong with siblings sharing a room. Its not ideal with a newborn though as your other child will be disturbed with the baby, I would probably put the crib in your room for now, its the best option I can think of for you.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 4:04 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• nothing wrong with kids sharing a room..but with that being said, i dont think its fair while the baby is still young and wakin up every few hours...
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 9:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2010

• I dont think there is anythign wrong w/ kids sharing rooms. Especially at this age. Maybe when they are older if you have a boy and a girl, you will want to seperate them, but for now gender makes no difference at all.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:07 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I would keep baby in a bassinet in my room for the first few months. At least until the baby sleeps longer, but yeah, just let them share.
    Aingls

Answer by Aingls at 9:16 PM on Oct. 17, 2010