How can I remove the "smell?"

I have a few items that I use as props for photoshoots. Since I don't have a studio or a lot of room to store things, I purchased a plastic box w/ lid to store that stuff in. I didn't realize that goards (sp?) would rot... so now all my things REALLY STINK! Any ideas how to remove the rotten smell?? Thank you?

Marybeth

Asked by Marybeth at 8:51 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Home & Garden

• You can use vanilla to remove most smells, even a fishy cooler will smell brand new! Just place a cap full of vanilla into the plastic box and close the lid up tight. When I use this for cleaning my coolers I usually just let them sit till I need them again, but after a few days you won't believe the differance.
    INDIANAMOM

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 9:01 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• place a dryer sheet in with it. I put one in my closets and change them out often. Cheap and easy!
    bigtrucksgirl

Answer by bigtrucksgirl at 9:27 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I've tried the dryer sheets (guess I should change them more often) but the props themselves still smell. Any ideas how to get the smell of of the props (pillows, fake flowers & leaves, sunglasses, rugs, etc)? I haven't tried the vanilla yet so I'm going to give that shot. Thanks INDIANAMOM and bigtrucksgirl for your suggestions thus far.
    Marybeth

Answer by Marybeth at 9:40 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• There is a product that you can find in most pet supply isles....It is for pet odors. It looks like a white mess bag with white rocks inside. It contains lava rocks which are negatively charged. Just placing the bag in the area with smells and odors...will do the job! It obsorbs all kinds of odors!

I have even picked them up at Wal-Mart. I am sorry that I don't have a name for you. If you ask, I am sure that someone will be able to assist you at the store.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:12 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Sprinkle some baking soda, let it set for a while, and then vacuum it up. OR, get a large cardboard box and place a bowl with a few pieces of plain charcoal in the bottom. Lay some of the flowers and pillows, soft items around the bowl and tape the box shut for a few days. The charcoal should absorb the odors. (P.S. the bowl of charcoal also works for deodorizing rooms and closets)
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 11:36 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Have you tried Febreeze for the fabrics? As for the other props try wiping them down with some warm water and cleanser like Mr. Clean or something, as long as it won't ruin them. I don't know how bad the smell is though :-/ Hope it helps!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:14 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I know this sounds really crazy! BUT give it a try! Take some newspaper and put it inside the plastic boxes. Something about the ink and the plastic, keeps it from smelling.. Good luck.. :)
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 9:16 AM on Oct. 31, 2008