What is the earliest age you have or would talk to your children about sex?

And why?

Cheveyo1

Asked by Cheveyo1 at 10:22 AM on Oct. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• 13 is also too late, they would have already had many talks in school. I have started talking to my son when he was 6 and kept the conversation ongoing and age appropriate. Why? Because I would rather tell him the truth rather than he learn in the halls of school. This kind of talk is not a one time deal, it is ongoing and needs to be done well before the child hits puberty at 13. It starts with info about their bodies and goes from there. The sex talk isn't just about sex. It's about puberty and periods BEFORE it happens not after.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My daughter is 2 1/2 and we talk about body parts. It's convenient that she called her brother's penis a tail the first time I changed his diaper in front of her lol, gave me an opening. I will start explaining further as she is able to understand. I'm not one who thinks it should just be done before the child has sex, I think they should be educated early about it.... 5, 6, 7... not 13 or 14. Too much opportunity for misinformation or shame to set in. I want my children to be totally comfortable asking me ANY questions, and I think the best way to do that is to educate them and be open and honest from an early age.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:54 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• my kids are now 5 and 7 (and 1 wk) we've had "sex" talks or at least as appropiate for their age ALL their lives. As soon as they ask we talk, they know about diff. b/w boys and girls (although dd still says "i hurt my weiners" every now and again LOL) They have some facts on puberty... body changes, girls get "boobies", hair grows, just starting mentioning voice changes and more about mens hair growth to ds. "Moon cycles" mean that a womans body is ready to have a baby although maybe not truly ready. Babies grow in mommies "belly" and come out to quote ds "the vagina" (not quite but we're working on it).
    Babies cost a LOT of money and we should only have them when we are financially ready. Marriage is best. Sex is for when you are ready to have a baby (and only w/ someone you REALLY know for a LOOOOOng time and love like family). etc.etc. It bit at a time as app. or it comes up w/the basic premise that its for ADUlts
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:45 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Whenever you see puberty kick in, at the slightest sign.

Answer by older at 10:25 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• we talk in age appropriate ways to our son concerning the private relations of adults. sex is a part of life.
    BlacksheepSati

Answer by BlacksheepSati at 10:26 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I had to discuss sex with all 3 of my kids( while they were in grade school ) because an older kid in the neighborhood told them too many things about sex and he was completely wrong in addition. I was not happy. But I bought a cute book for kids and Moms to read together that told basic reproductive info and the relationship between moms and dads and how they produced kids out of their love for each other. So...they got the message correctly . I think they were 6, 8 and 10.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:28 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• We've discussed it several times with both of our boys at various stages. Granted when my 4 yo has asked where babies come from, it's the simplest answer, but if either of them, even the 10 yo, has questions, we answer them honestly and with age appropriate answers.

sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 10:49 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My kids are 3 & 4 and we've already talked to them... We start early and keep the conversation going all through life, this way it's never a taboo subject, never a sensitive thing and everyone is comfortable talking about it any time we need to... I would never send a child to school without first knowing about sex, molestation and the other subjects which come along with those... I want my children to have all the right information, not pick up myths and propaganda from less educated children.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:04 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• i started around 7 or 8 with my son...he's 10 now and knows all about puberty, sex (oral, anal, vaginal), and respecting women...i answer any questions he has 100%...my parents never talked to me about sex and i was pregnant 3 months after i turned 15.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 1:05 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My son is only 8months so i obviously have a while to go...but my parents never gave my sister "the talk" and so she lost her virginity when she was 14 because she didnt know better. I'd say around 13 is a good age now days, only because kids are growing up so quickly!
    MasonsMommyy

Answer by MasonsMommyy at 10:23 AM on Oct. 17, 2010