5 weeks pg and spotting

I've been spotting light brown blood the past week, so I was expecting AF any day. For the heck of it, I took an HPT last night and it was positive. I have an OB appt later today, but was wondering what anyone thinks the spotting is from or if it's a bad sign? Am I going to miscarry?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Normally any spotting is bad. But brown also indicates that its old blood, so I've been told. I was told not to worry unless it was bright red blood. But I would be sure to discuss it with your doctor just to be on the safe side.
    Smexkitten

Answer by Smexkitten at 9:21 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I spotted at 5 weeks and my blood was both brown and red. I was fine and everything went completely normal. I wouldnt worry about but mention it when you go in today. They will most likely want to schedule and internal U/S. Thats what I had and everything was fine! :) GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I was spotting when I was eight weeks pregnant and it turned out to be nothing major. The only thing that i could not do after my Dr Appt. was lift anything over 15 lbs. Which was hard considering that i had a 37 lb 2 year old. I hope everything turns out well for you.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 9:37 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I spotted a lot in my first trimester and had an ultrasound, all is well. I'm now 20 weeks. Call the doc just to ease your mind.
    the.deadly.mrs

Answer by the.deadly.mrs at 9:37 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I don't want you to worry, but I went through the same thing and lost my baby. I spotted for only a week, and funny enough, it was only during the time that I was spotting that the baby was growing- when I stopped, the baby stopped too. The doctors weren't worried about it at first because the statisitc is that 30% of women spot during their first trimester, and about 50% of that 30% go on to miscarry. So, it could be bad, or it could be nothing. I came on here and posted the same kind of question when it happened to me, and everyone was so supportive and no one told me thier sad story, so I totally let myself believe everything was going to be fine. It really hurt to have it go bad at the end. So, my only advice is don't worry until you KNOW there is something to worry about, and be prepared for both options. I TRULY hope things turn out for the best. I'd love to be updated, so message me if you want to.
    mileymoo

Answer by mileymoo at 11:44 AM on Oct. 28, 2008