Ugly bedroom set...

I inherited an antique bedroom set: A vanity/dresser, a tall dresser, and a Queen size headboard. It's dark walnut stained, solid oak wood with brass fixtures. Nice, but not exactly stylish. I'd say it dates back to the 40's or so. I can live with the vanity and tall dresser as is, but this headboard is absolutely ghastly. Even if I wanted to sell the whole set, I wouldn't get much for it (the drawers in the vanity are on broken tracks, the tall dresser has been chipped in several places, and the headboard has old candle wax petrified on it). I was thinking about painting the whole set. Any ideas?

MamaLion82007

Asked by MamaLion82007 at 9:38 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Home & Garden

• You could paint it or you could cover it in fabric. Use some foam for backing, pick a pretty fabric, voila, new headboard. (I love redoing furniture). Change the brass fixtures to something different as well.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 9:46 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I would not paint an antique. Even though you say it is ugly it may be worth money.

Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 9:47 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• "Even though you say it is ugly it may be worth money."

In it's current state, it's really not. I'd have to get it all repaired for it's value to even be considered, and the repairs themselves would cost more than the set is worth.
    MamaLion82007

Answer by MamaLion82007 at 9:59 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• How about re-staining it in a lighter color and new handles for the drawers? Even though its not your style, maybe you will be able to appreciate it once its not a big, dark thing in your room. I've got a dining set that was my husband's grandparents and when we first "inherited" it, I didn't like it, but it has grown on me for its antique value and sentimental vale.

chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 10:04 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• When dealing with antiques...painting, re varnishing and 'fixing' often ruins value. The first thing I'd do..is have someone come look at it. If they say it's a minimal worth then by all means, paint, scrape, cut, pad away. My mother owned an antique store for years. Many times people would bring in a piece that could have been worth tremendous money but 'it looked bad so we refinished it' To true dealers and collectors the patina you just destroyed MADE the piece more, not less valuable.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:53 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• The comments about antiques are correct but if you're sure there's no value or the repairs just aren't worth it to you then I'd either paint it which would probably require a lot of sanding, or cover it. covering with fabric and some padding is easy and can be relatively inexpensive depending on the fabric you choose. You don't even have to sew anything, use a staple gun on the bottom after wrapping it, or a glue gun on a folded seam. I've done both with good results and I've never considered myself particularly crafty or handy.
    MRiverson

Answer by MRiverson at 8:38 PM on Oct. 28, 2008