How do I make dresses for my daughters?

I have twin girls and with times as hard as they are (and going to be getting even harder no matter which one wins) this is something that could prove useful in the future.

What kind of fabrics are the best to use? Is it best to buy one of those design kits from the store?

BlueCollarMama

Asked by BlueCollarMama at 9:51 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• To stat learning try some simple dresses like pillowcase dresses those are better for the summer though. Most of the pattern companies have easy or beginner patterns that are simple and will teach you the basics. Easiest material to sew with is a cotton make sure to wash and dry before you cut your pattern and start sewing so that the material is pre shrunk.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 9:56 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Since winter is coming you might want to get a jumper pattern and have them wear a shirt underneath. Then you avoid the whole setting sleeves issue. I don't sew to save money but to get custom stuff and because everything needs to be re-hemed anyway! Between the sewing machine, the pattern, the fabric, the thread, the buttons and/or zipper and maybe elastic it does add up. Try to pick patterns that are adjustable so they don't out grow them too soon.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 10:15 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I have quit making dresses almost altogether for my granddaughter. Fabric stores are closing like crazy. Fabric prices are soaring. I now have to drive 35 mins to one store.. Also patterns have become outrageous. I actually find better deals at resale shops, at least for this period in time.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:46 AM on Oct. 28, 2008