Is it just my kid or are they all like this

my first 3 kids were close and always played together and I never had a problem being able to get something done for myself like read or watch a show without a problem.
Now they are much older and now I have a 6yr old son. I have never been able to do anything without him bothering me. He is always wanting my attention mainly because he has nobody else to occupy him so he constantly turns to me.
Always talking/bugging me... I tried to read a 1 page story in a magazine and he has to be talking to me! It is driving me nuts that I get no time to do something I enjoy.
How do you get time to yourself? How do you get kids to not be a pain....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Oct. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• That's my 4yo.  My older 3 kids are each a year apart and are all now in school or are out hanging out with their friends.  That leaves the 4yo at home with me.  She drives me nuts wanting my constant attention because she is bored.  I have to stand my ground and tell her to go play with her toys.  She doesn't need me to entertain her every second we are together.  And she can play alone just fine when I make her.

But things are much calmer when the older 3 kids are home and she can play with them.  Like right now all 4 are playing the xbox.  They even have the baby in the other room with them (he's 3 months).  Only problem is they are being so loud I can barely hear my TV and I'm sitting right next to it.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:36 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Ok, in all fairness...you had him, so now you will have to deal with him...the fact that he has no 'sibs" close in age, is not his fault. I would go online and look into how to foster a childs independence, to help him occupy himself so he is not always up your but however, he will be a great source of conversation for you as he gets older.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:11 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• My older two are close, but they get like that too... I keep "busy" work around for times when I need a break...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:05 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• i normally get household chores, ect done during the day when the kids are awake and if one bothers me that one gets to help me clean. that way when it becomes bed time everything is done around the house and all i have to do is relax and do the things i enjoy. hope this helps.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 12:09 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Encourage them to make friends at school so that maybe one day they'll spend the night at their house. lol
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:15 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I find that if do chores in the morning i have free time during the day. Also maybe find some crafts for them to keep busy that they can do to keep them busy. family fun magazine is a good one. also put them to bed a little early and they can read or watch a movie and that should give you free time.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 12:15 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• You know. My son is just like this. We have out our home what we call. Quite time. He is now 8 and we still do this! It is where he goes in his room for 1-2 hours and reads a book colors at his desk or plays with his toys. He not allowed to come out unless he has to go to the bathroom. We do this instead of nap time sense he is older. And if you ask him, Would you rather have quite time or would you rather take a nap? Ofcourse he wants quite time! This gives me time to sit in the living room and watch tv, read or do some work on the computer. What ever it is that i need to do. I also have a two year old. So when they are home together quite time is when my two year old has nap time so that they are both quite at the same time. Seems to be working out well! Also if you have a tv in your sons room. (some do some don't) that quite time would be a good time for movie time or tv time as well. For an older kid... Good luck!
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 12:45 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I guess I am the only one on here that is bothered by this. No offense OP, but I feel that parents need to be there for their kids. He wants you! When was the last time you sat down and just did something HE wanted without distraction? I would prefer to see that you "give" so that he can "take a turn" and "give". For example: Say "JohnnyI am going to set the timer for 30 minutes and we can do whatever you want to do for 30 minutes together (play a game, play cars, etc). Then, when the timer goes off, we will have our own time and I will set the timer for 30 minutes. After the timer goes off, then we will talk about what we did on our own time (read a book, watched a show, etc).
    This will teach him to get excited about time together AND time alone. It sounds like your son is craving time with you. Give and ye shall receive!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• He's six years old. You should be able to talk to him about the importance of needing some alone time. Make sure that you give him things that entertain him to occupy him. As well as making sure you take time to play with him and have fun with him. It's important to give him that social interaction. But really, just let him know that you're busy and will talk to him after you're done.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:51 PM on Oct. 17, 2010